Best bridge camera out there?

Jakes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys

I'm looking to purchase a bridge camera (super zoom) for no more than $600. What is the best value for money out there at the moment?

My top three choices is the Canon SX 30, FujiFilm HS20 or the Sony cybershoot, but I have read that the SX 40 is to be released in mid August 2011. So I'm not to sure if I should wait.

This is what I have found from doing a bit research on the net. I have narrowed it down to the following four below:

Canon Powershot SX30

Pro's
- Good still image shots
- Excellent optical range
- Excellent image stabilization

Con's
- 720p recording
- No RAW
- Over a year old already

FujiFilm FinePix HS20

Pro's
- Excellent still image shots
- Shoots RAW images
- Good optical range
- Very good FPS (8fps)

Con's
- Cam recorder is shocking at full tilt.

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX100v

Pro's

- Good zoom
- 1080p recording
- Excellent FPS (10fps)

Con's
- No external flash
- No RAW images

Any advise will be welcomed.

Have you considered an entry-level DSLR and a telephoto lens?

--
Sent from my HTC Pyramid.

Have you considered an entry-level DSLR and a telephoto lens?

I have, but I want something a bit more compact... rather than carrying around multiple lenses.

Realistically, how can anyone say one of your three choices is the best unless they've used all three extensively? I see the same question on other things and on other forums - which is the best? You've already picked out the features that interest you in all three, just go with the one that suits your needs the best.

Having said that, I'll mention that I use a Canon SX30 and it works great for me. I don't need or want RAW, or high video capabilities. I actually have a Canon DSLR and a bunch of lenses that cover from 11 to 500mm, but I use the SX30 most of the time. It does most of what I want in my casual and family photos, especially with my Canon 430EX flash with a diffuser mounted. I just came in from our backyard, took some closeup photos of my wife's flowers and some shots of a squirrel who was after peanuts I placed on the table. With the camera's 24mm lens equivalent and f/8, I got shots of the critter when it was about 8 inches away from the camera. It's silent shutter helped not scare it away.

I have this camera in a smallish camera bag and always have it in the car with me when I'm out. With its extensive zoom capability and IS, I can grab shots anywhere in its 24-840mm range.

The downside is its slowish focusing capability and shutter lag when compared to my DSLR, but its portabilty makes the difference.

I previously had cameras along the same line - a Kodak P850, Canon S5, Canon SX10, and now the SX30. I moved up in capabilities each time.

As I suggested, pick one that suits your needs and pocketbook, or wait and see what the Canon Sx40 might offer!

I'm not sure how the camera's that you listed size compare to a canon s2 but a D40 isn't really that big. If you matched it with a pancake 45mm f2.8 you would have a nice lil carry around.

S2vsD40Big.jpg

D3S_5313-460.jpg

@Railphotg ... I'm leaning towards the Canon. Will wait and see what new features the are released with the SX40.

Anyone out there got a link to the new features of the Canon SX40 yet? ;)

what about a sweet pro film SLR? easily better IQ than a point and shoot.

I hope I can pick up enough overtime to get one this year.

Depends on what you want to do with it, but I'd get the Canon. I have the SX20 and in the couple months that I've had it, it hasn't let me down yet. If you absolutely have to shoot RAW, then I wouldn't get it, otherwise, I think it would serve you well. Are you planning on shooting a lot of video? If not, would the extra pixels provided by 1080p be worth it?

I hope I can pick up enough overtime to get one this year.
I got my two F100's for a combined price of $175. Can't beat that with a stick, dude. With Portra 400 in them, they'll run CIRCLES around a piddly SX20. Don't believe me? I got pictures to prove it.

To the OP: if you want a point and shoot, that's fine. But if you usually shoot pictures of people, and want them to look really good, than shoot with this camera, and this lens, using this film, and developing at this lab. Use that and you still won't be close to $600. Actually, you won't even break $200.

Dead serious, it will blow away any superzoom point and shoot and will be just as easy. The hardest part is FedEx'ing the film to get developed and scanned.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back