Best budget film scanner.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Justin TW, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Justin TW

Justin TW TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on decent film scanners on a budget? Preferably under $500 (CAD) the lower the better. For right now I do the super budget way of just taking my D300s and taking pictures of my negatives over a diffused light. But I would like to step it up to get the best quality for a reasonable price. Any help on this would greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Justin

**NOTE: I used 35mm film but maybe in the future I may try medium format film.**

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What film format? Wet scanning on a Epson V600 could do the trick under your budget.

3. Justin TW

Justin TW TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, I use 35mm film right now but maybe in the future I'll give medium format a shot. (pun intended)

4. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I would suggest a dedicated 35mm scanner like the plustek 800 series. When you migrate to a larger format, repost. You could go with a Epson flat bed and scan wet to get desirable results and safe a few bucks in regards to format.

5. jeffW

jeffW No longer a newbie, moving up!

Just a thought, not sure where you're located or how connected you are.. but you might ask some of the commercial shooters in your area if they have an Imacon and if so could you use it. Might be more of a headache than it's worth, but fifteen years ago during the digital transition a lot of Pros had Imacons and kept them around "just in case".

just an idea