Best budget telephoto

reconstyle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm on a budget here and am wanting a zoom lens to mess around with.

I was looking at the 70-300mm by tamron, canon and sigma.

Anyone have any insight as to which is the "better" of the 3?

I read a bunch of reviews and they were pretty inconclusive, other than saying the AF hunted in low light (DUH), it's a bit soft at 300mm, must use tripod in low light blah blah blah, all the stuff that is pretty obvious just by reading the specs...

So what do you guys think?

I've had good luck with the Canon. Before I had my Sigma 70-200, I borrowed a Canon 75-300 quite a bit. In fact, exceptional for a $150 lens. Took a picture of my company's CEO with it and it's been in many publications for a year and a half.

Compare it to an L series and obviously people are gonna say "man that lens sucks, go with L glass" However, for $150, it's a great piece of equipment IMO.

I have a Tamron 70-300 LD Di for my Pentax, and other than some purple fringing in high contrast situations, I am pretty happy with it. Can't beat it for the price if ya ask me... Here are a few shots with it at Busch Stadium last summer. To give you an idea of how far away I was, I'll include a wide angle shot too.

545150754_d7c1207607_o.jpg

545147994_35ddfa6616_o.jpg

545148014_789c8e70c3_o.jpg

Oh wow, THANKS A BUNCH for the baseball shots. Those are awesome!

I'm guessing the last 2 are at 300mm right? And you were on the second level?

Yes, both were at 300MM, F5.6, and the shot of the pitcher is @ ISO 800, the hitter is @ ISO 400. And yeah, I was on the 2nd level, 3rd base side of home plate.

Tamron. I love the way mine takes pictures and functions well for the price.

I've had good luck with the Canon. Before I had my Sigma 70-200, I borrowed a Canon 75-300 quite a bit. In fact, exceptional for a $150 lens. Took a picture of my company's CEO with it and it's been in many publications for a year and a half.

Compare it to an L series and obviously people are gonna say "man that lens sucks, go with L glass" However, for $150, it's a great piece of equipment IMO.
Is that the 2.8 Sigma? If so, can you post some pics from it. I am thinking that is the exact glass I am going to pic up for shooting Horse Shows and Hockey Games.

Is that the 2.8 Sigma? If so, can you post some pics from it. I am thinking that is the exact glass I am going to pic up for shooting Horse Shows and Hockey Games.

I hope not, I don't think 1k is a "budget" telephoto lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back