Best camera bundle? pleaaseee help.

Whatever you do, dont buy the d3000 kit. It is absolute horrible. I started with it 2 months ago and already upgraded to the d7000.

Thank you so much, that's probably the one I was going to end up buying :/. Is the d3100 bad too?

Thank you so much, that's probably the one I was going to end up buying :/. Is the d3100 bad too?

D3100 is better. On the nikon side I would suggest d5100 or d5200 to start. D5100 is cheaper but d5200 has newest processor and better IQ/low light performance. Both the 5100/5200 will give you room to grow.

Another option is used or refurb. My next camera will be a refurb.

Being a loyal Canon shooter for many years, I'd like to suggest you get the T3i kit rather than T3 (or a Nikon). The T3i is a newer model, has more megapixels, and has better electronics and features. You'll have to get a camera bag and memory card separately (16mb SDHC class 10 recommended), but it's a better all-around model.

Canon EOS Rebel T3i Black 18MP DSLR Camera - Walmart.Com

Class 10 SDHC
Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-I Flash Card: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com

Here's a discussion comparison of the two cameras:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/canon/245271-choosing-between-canon-t3-t3i.html

If your budget can stretch don't overlook the pentax k30, its specs at price point are great with a weather sealed combo available for modest money

Whatever you do, dont buy the d3000 kit. It is absolute horrible. I started with it 2 months ago and already upgraded to the d7000.

Except for what I would call extremely poor high-iso performance, I don't find that there's a whole lot wrong with the D3000. Sure, it lacks a lot of features and you have to do things in menus instead of with buttons, so it's just a little bit slower than a better body, and shooting in manual takes getting used to because you're missing the front control wheel, but pressing the aperture control button isn't hard. It's not a phenomenal camera, but I don't think it's horrible in any sense of the word. Just out of curiosity, what are your gripes with it?

I shoot a D90 all day every day at work, and while it offers a number features over the D3000 and has better specs, they are both ergonomically excellent, very easy to use, and offer full control over your picture taking.

I did start on Olympus OM film cameras, an OM10 and OM PC, and then jumped to Nikon with my N80 film camera, so I'm not the most demanding when it comes to features, as long as I can control the exposure triangle, my AF mode and AF points I don't ask a lot. I'm also in college and spend wayyy too much money on snowboard racing, so I'm certainly not picky about what I can afford.

I think there are much better options than the D3000- don't get me wrong, but as far as a fairly decent DSLR with 2 fairly decent lenses, a card, and a bag to throw it all in for $400, I think the D3000 18-55 and 55-200 kit is a very good value. I wouldn't buy it with that tripod though, a good tripod makes a huge difference. I figured having the extra focal range and saving $50 was more worth it to me than what the D3100 offered me over the D3000

Last edited:
Personally I'd recommend buying used off eBay. You'll save a ton.

I'd also stay away from the mini dslrs, and instead opt for a d80, d90, or d200. These cameras have more profession control layouts and features along with an af mother which will greatly expand your selection of lenses.

The d80 is usually the same cost used as the d3000, yet it beats the d3000 hands down.

I'm also looking at bundles and best buy has the canon t4i for 749.99 in store, online 649.99 and matches the online price. You can add on a 300.00 lens, 50.00 bag and the memory card all for an extra 200.00. 849.00 plus tax is a pretty good deal, I thought. I've been researching for days on what camera to buy and best deals, and that's what I've came up with so far. :)

Being a loyal Canon shooter for many years, I'd like to suggest you get the T3i kit rather than T3 (or a Nikon). The T3i is a newer model, has more megapixels, and has better electronics and features. You'll have to get a camera bag and memory card separately (16mb SDHC class 10 recommended), but it's a better all-around model.

Class 10 SDHC

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/canon/245271-choosing-between-canon-t3-t3i.html

I know you meant 16 GB but i just want to clarify to get a card in GB! 16 mb isn't many photos. Alao, i suggest a name brand card, not a wal mart special. "Good" names are so cheap ($40 for a 32 GB) it's not worth taking the risk of having it fail.

I know you meant 16 GB but i just want to clarify to get a card in GB! 16 mb isn't many photos. Alao, i suggest a name brand card, not a wal mart special. "Good" names are so cheap ($40 for a 32 GB) it's not worth taking the risk of having it fail.

Very true, 16mb is about 50% of the space needed for one (1) RAW picture or 2 or 3 JPG pictures on my 5D3! As for brand choice, I suggested the Walmart brand as the OPs original post indicated mostly Walmart items. Actually, I use only Sandisk memory cards and have never had one fail! But Walmart doesn't carry them.

Many years ago I went through the whole Canon or Nikon debate, I looked at others but remember you are buying into a system not just a camera. What I am about to say is not which one is best but I will share my thought process when I chose.
The actual body is disposable to some extent, its the lenses that last. What I mean is that in say 4/5 years time you will probably look to upgrade again, however the most expensive part of your kit are lenses. For example my body cost £600, the sum of my lenses is about £2500 (and I dont own any white lenses). So buy a body you feel comfortable with and has accessibility to a wide range of lenses (new and 2nd hand). That was why I went either Canon or Nikon. The next step was to physically hold them, try to borrow or visit a shop that has them to try, so that you can get a feel for them in your hands, try going through the menus and altering settings with the camera to your eye. This way you will find what feels comfortable.

I know this doesnt answer which one is best, but in reality there are very few bad cameras around. Being Canon myself, I will stay loyal and say Canon :)

Class 10 SDHC

I own both the T3 and T3i, and I think anybody who says the T3i "blows the T3 out of the water" in terms of image quality (as claimed in that thread) is seeing what they want to see. It's just plain not true in my experience.

Aside from the flip out screen and additional megapixels (whose importance tends to get grossly overstated, IMO), the T3i earns its higher price from features that 95% of consumers will never bother to learn how to use anyway.

Only get the T3i if you know you will want to learn the camera inside and out. If your idea of an "advanced technique" is to switch to Av mode to blur a background, don't waste your money, the T3 will be perfect for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back