Best camera for photos and HD videos between $300 and $400 (E-PL1 opinions please)

zumaneil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all.
First of all, thank you very much for providing this online resource =-)

At the moment I own a Panasonic Lumix FP-1 which is a basic point and shoot camera with pretty much no manual controls.
I would really like to get more serious about photography and videography and learn a lot more about both (since I know very little about either!).

If I had to pick a priority I would have to say it's the video quality but it almost seems as though photo cameras with HD video capabilities are the cheapest and highest quality way to get into video when compared with camcorders in the same price range. Perhaps I am wrong about this?

I was looking at a Canon T2i and felt it would cover both quality looking photos and videos nicely.
Unfortunately I will not be able to spend the $650 necessary for the T2i right now.

This sent me on a Google search to find the "best point and shoot with manual controls" which led me to the Olympus PEN E-PL1.
It is available right now, on Amazon.com, for $289.
It seems that this camera received rave reviews, even when it was in the $500+ price range, so I am thinking it is a steal for the price.

I thought it best to check with some people with more experience than myself before making this purchase (since, to me, it's a rather large purchase =P).
Basically looking for opinions on this camera and any possible alternatives.

I really want the ability to take great pictures AND video but would sacrifice this for a camcorder if the camcorder had far superior video than any alternative.
Is the E-PL1 going to take better staged videos (i.e. not candid) for me than a camcorder in this price range ($300)?

Thank you in advance for any and all input =-D

Upon further research I have found that the E-PL1 has AF noise when recording videos and that they fixed the problem with the MKII lens that comes with the E-PL2.
This really seems like a deal killer for the E-PL1 and moves me from $289 to $399 for the EPL-2.

So I guess that means the question is:
"Is the E-PL2 going to take better staged videos (i.e. not candid) for me than a camcorder in this price range ($400)?"

Last edited:
I have an E-PL1 but don't really do videos as such no really sure how to answer your question. More specific questions would help.

One thing I noticed about most still cameras have limits on the length of the video. The E-PL1 is something like 7mins I believe. Even cameras that are designed for video are still functionally limited to 30 mins because of European regulations that place a tax burden on camcorders. The E-PL1 also only goes to 720p not 1080p. In the land of micro 4 3 cameras (which the E-PL1 is one) the cameras that are most known (and designed for) video are the Panasonic GH1 and GH2. Both came with lenses that are designed specifically for video.

Another thing I have noticed is that many videographers using these micro 4 3 cameras generally are using manual lenses that have been adapted. They prefer the manual focus AND these properly damped lenses are more suited for it. You also get a wide variety of optics for very little investment (and no AF noise)

Here's a test clips from mine (thing really too interesting just playing around with video features):

another with an adapted 50mm Summilux lens (manual) lens:

My feeling is that if video is your main purpose, get something designed specifically for video.... right tools for the right job. Of course, this is just my feeling backed with little to no knowledge of creating video. I see that the GoPro Hero 2 units are pretty popular... have you considered it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, for pretty much any camera with video, you'll probably need a microphone of some sort. The E-PL1 has one that attaches to its accessory port from which you can use either its mic or attach another for recording. The in camera mic is limited and as you can tell from the video is subject to wind noise.

Thank you very much for your reply and all the input you've offered :)
Though I do admit it is ironic, from all my research it seems that a DSLR or a micro four thirds camera offers a more film like quality of video than a purpose built video camera in my price range.
I also do like taking pictures a great deal and it may turn out that I find myself doing that more. At the moment I am just drawn more to film.

I was totally sold on the E-PL1 until I found out about the noise of the lens during auto-focus. Having said that, if I'm going for film like results then I'm probably not going to be using the auto-focus anyway!

That led me on to the E-PL2 but supposedly that camera is subject to a phenomenon known as "red dots" or more precisely "E-PL2 red dots" since it seems that it is largely isolated to that camera. (This is when red dots appear in the flare of bright lights)

So now I'm back to thinking I should get the E-PL1 and just not use auto focus in videos, which brings me to my question.
From what you've said it sounds like the E-PL1's kit lens is NOT a manual lens? I was under the impression I would be able to manually adjust the focus by twisting the lens out of the box with the E-PL1 =-/ Is that not so?

EDIT: Wow, I'm such a noob to all of this =P I just did some research and now I know what you meant, that the E-PL1 does have manual focus but that the exclusively manual lenses are "more suited for it". Sorry I didn't get that the first time around lol

I'm still open to any suggestions for alternatives to the E-PL1 between $300 and $400 from anyone else that has them =)

Last edited:
Though I do admit it is ironic, from all my research it seems that a DSLR or a micro four thirds camera offers a more film like quality of video than a purpose built video camera in my price range.
I also do like taking pictures a great deal and it may turn out that I find myself doing that more. At the moment I am just drawn more to film.

Ah.. thinking about it some more.. I can understand this. Most lower end digital camcorders will probably work off a small sensor with smallish lenses with gobs of DOF which make it difficult to creative. The last video clip was in response to another member who was curious what the DOF looked like on the E-PL1 w/ a 50mm shot at f/1.4. As you can see the DOF is pretty shallow with the in focus area remaining pretty sharp (assuming a good lens).

So now I'm back to thinking I should get the E-PL1 and just not use auto focus in videos, which brings me to my question.
From what you've said it sounds like the E-PL1's kit lens is NOT a manual lens? I was under the impression I would be able to manually adjust the focus by twisting the lens out of the box with the E-PL1 =-/ Is that not so?

The kit lens with the EPL1 is "fly-by-wire" in manual mode which means that the lens' internal motor is still used during manual focus; hence motor noise will still be present.

EDIT: Wow, I'm such a noob to all of this =P I just did some research and now I know what you meant, that the E-PL1 does have manual focus but that the exclusively manual lenses are "more suited for it". Sorry I didn't get that the first time around lol

One option that I can offer if the main issue here is the kit lens, is to plan on slightly more investment and buy an M42 adapter, similar to this:

Adjustable M42 Lens 2 Micro 4/3 m43 Adapter Panasonic GX1 GF3 GF2 GH3 GH2 G10 G1 | eBay

(I have three from rainbow imaging.... Cheap but it works.)

Then consider any number of M42 / screw-mount pentax lenses to use for video. There are two reasons why I am suggesting the M42 mount.

1) Its one of the oldest mounts out there. As such, you can pretty much find any optic of any price range to fit any purpose
2) The mount itself is a very simple basic mount and the adapter itself is going to be equally as basic. Its basically a tube with the proper screw threads at one end and mount at the other. THis makes the adapters very cheap and hard to screw up during manufacturing nor in use.

If you search ebay, there are all sorts of lenses out there ranging from $10 (russian usually) to $100's in M42 screw mount; all sorts of brands. I am a Pentax/Takumar collector so I am biased towards the Takumar, Super-Takumar, or SMC Takumars. In particular the 50mm f/1.4 can be found for less than $50 USD. The SMC version a bit more.

Just for kicks here are two samples I just made a few minutes ago. Please excuse me... they aren't anything special nor are my video skills worth anything...

E-PL1 - Takumar 28mm f/3.5

E-PL1 - Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (wide open... kinda hard to focus because DOF is so shallow)

Not exactly great stuff but As you can tell.. the lenses are near silent because they are purely mechanical. sheesh.. my hands aren't steady at all... and I probably should have worn my glasses for focus. lol

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One last samples:

Same Takumar 50mm f/1.4 as above but shot at f/5.6 to get a more workable DOF.

Same Tukumar 50mm but in low light.... @ f1/4

Again.. I'm clueless with video.. all I know is to point and press the record button.. haha.. Not sure if the E-PL1 will fit your needs... but hopefully the samples will help.

PS> One more thing.... www.mu-43.com is a good resource with more members using micro 4 3. They have a whole sub forum dedicated to video with micro 4 3 cameras. I have a bag full of ~native~ Micro 4 3 lenses as well... some are near silent AF. let me know if samples with those would help.

I like what I see of your video samples =) I don't understand why when I look at samples on YouTube the amount of noise (visual) in the videos (even when comparing daylight to daylight samples) seems to vary dramatically. Your videos are among the better ones that I have seen. I wonder if that is to do with people that just hit auto and those that use some manual settings.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could do a couple of sample videos in relatively silent conditions with the kit lens to show how much of the sound of the lens is picked up when you use the auto-focus while recording and when you use the fly-by-wire manual focus while recording. I'm hoping that you don't hear anything with the fly-by-wire manual focus and wondering how loud the auto-focus is exactly.
I suppose if both of these make audible noises during recording then the next question would be are all true manual focus lenses (like the cheaper ones you recommended) going to be silent when focusing during a video?

Thank you in advance! =-D

Oh, btw... What a beautiful scene of the lighthouse on the coast. I think it's framed very nicely! (Isn't that how you put it? =P)

Sure.. No problem. A little later today I will post some samples with the kit lens. I also wonder if an external mic is used if he issue becomes insignificant. Sorry I don't have he required attachment for an external mic.

I too have wondered if the attachment gives the mic enough distance from the lens but no worries :p
I look forward to your videos whenever you get around to it.
Talk to you tomorrow =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back