Best camera OR Camcorder for Cinematography

AnimalLover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please do not rip my head off for asking a question about cinematography/Videography... I have about $9,000 to spend on a camera or camcorder. That budget also includes any other gear I might need. I basically just need an idea of what DSLR or camcorder you'd personally go with for a sports (skateboarding) film?

I've been looking into high end DSLR's but I cannot stand the rolling shutter. Especially because the majority of the time I will be moving around.

Hi AnimalLover - for a skateboard video, if you want results like this (please watch at 1080p):

You may want to look at the $8299 Sony NEX-FS7000 - the only 1080/240fps ultra slow motion camera in your price range.

You'll also need something like this $632 Movcam Lightweight FS700 Shoulder Support for moving around with the camera.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the items I have in my own kit are-

1. Nikon D610
  2. Set of lenses and ND filters
  3. Tripod and fluid head
  4. Sound Devices 702 off camera audio recorder with clap board and body harness
  5. Sennheiser MKH 416 with softie and pistol grip mount/boom pole
  6. Sony Headphones
  7. Kessler camera slider
  8. Set of reflectors
  9. Sennheiser 2000 series wireless bodypack/receiver
  10. Countryman EMW and B6 wireless mics (usually mounted under clothing with mole skin)
  11. Marshall off camera video monitor and hood
  12. DSLR shoulder mount with focus motor and screen magnifier

I would start by investing money in items that don't change much over time (audio, lighting, tripod, ect). Rent the camera/expensive items and hire an audio engineer for the day if needed.

I think I would use my Canon XA20. Here's a link:

Canon XA20 Professional HD Camcorder 8453B002 B&H Photo Video

It is extremely stable when hand held and a has super zoom lens. It also can do IR video for night videography. Here's a few video clips I shot several months ago with it:

marsh rabbit munches grass | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Armadillo crosses the road | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
nice little garter snake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have nearly 500 videos on my flickr pages. Most of them were shot with a Canon 7D or 6D. Trying to shoot any shot of action stuff would be an exercise in aggravation and futility with a DSLR. Using a DSLR for stationery stuff with a decent support is fine but it's no good more moving objects unless it's perhaps someone just walking along. The Canon XA20 has a stability system that, as near as I can tell, slightly crops the edges of the video to make everything super stable. I can easily get stable video while walking around with it. There are some videos on youtube that demo it. It also takes pretty decent still photos.

The $1999 XA20 is a great small-sensor camcorder and is significantly less expensive than the $8250 FS700 - but it won't give you the shallow depth-of-field of a Super 35 camcorder or the crystal clear slow motion that the Sony's 240fps frame rate offers.

Here is what a skateboard video would look like, shot with the XA20:

[video=vimeo;83437485]http://vimeo.com/83437485[/video]​

Note the blurring in some of the interpolated slo-mo shots (the slow motion effect was added in post, since the camera can only shoot up to 1080/60p). These shots would have been much clearer if they had been shot at 1080/240p (as in the FS700 example I posted above).

With a $9000 camera budget, the FS700 will give you the most cinematic slow motion skateboarding images for your money.

Cheers,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would recommend a GoPro or related sports camera that you can mount on your self. You can give people the perspective of what you see.

I would also get a good camcorder or dSLR for someone to film yourself and a good tripod.

As much of a Nikon guy I am, Ill support the Canon XA-20. Great camera, I have used it for filming HS Lax. I have a Panasonic HMC-40 but eventually Ill buy this camera. I wouldnt say no to a DSLR. I have seen really good footage with the 7D and a 5D MIII.

Most reactions

Back