Best camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a matter of opinion but of this choice I would go Canon..........

Can I ask why you think that Jeff

Sony is not a camera company, it is a consumer electronics company.

You might notice that Sony installs proprietary batteries in their cameras.

then why do they sell cameras then if they are not a camera company?

and what are proprietary batteries

proprietary means that Sony or whoever is the sole manufacturer for a spicofic item.

Sony is not engaged in the optics side of things with a dedicated hone to cameras specifically.

The made cameras prior to 2006 as consumer point and shoot with fancy gadgetry but took on the SLR market after buying the rights to all things Minolta.

Most of the glass is Zeiss.

why does it matter what the glass is. I can't really afford the cannon camera that is the problem. I was hoping people would say the sony camera was better

Actually it doesn't really matter.

Sony, HP, digimat or anyone else.

The camera is still just a box with or without fancy gadgets. The glass is the performer in the game.

Doesn't matter who makes what, what matters is if the glass does it's job.
But moreover its the photographer in the end.

Buy what you can afford and done sweat the small stuff.
I have in thrift stores for example newer canon P&S cameras for $40.

I found an complete Chicon camera set for under $100.

Look around and dont fret new v used.

Youll do fine and will advance far by simply practicing and doing.
Camera manufacturer is meaningless.

Actually it doesn't really matter.

Sony, HP, digimat or anyone else.

The camera is still just a box with or without fancy gadgets. The glass is the performer in the game.

Doesn't matter who makes what, what matters is if the glass does it's job.
But moreover its the photographer in the end.

The box...the sensor...the processor... a digital camera is much,much ,or than just "the box" these days. Calling the camera just 'a box' is so film-centric. Especially on a P&S digital with a single lens....the camera is " the box, the lens, the film, and the developing lab", all in one unit. On a P&S with no lens interchangeability, the camera is much more than "the box".

Sony is a consumer electronics company, with a camera division.

Canon also makes some fine photocopiers! And has, for decades now, same with Ricoh, now the current owner of the Pentax brand. Ricoh owns Pentax...

Olympus makes some nice medical equipment. Panasonic is also a consumer electronics manufacturer,and manufacturers a lot of things.

FujiFilm is a former film and CD/DVD disc maker, that makes some nifty cameras.

Leica and Hasselblad brands are now owned by ________/

Nikon makes mainly imaging/optical devices, like cameras, microscopes, rifle scopes, binoculars, etc.

SONY makes some good cameras...and I would not worry about the battery issue; note that the Sony camera uses MULTIPLE memory types, according to the sales listing,Memory Stick ( a proprietary Sony memory form), but also SD, SDHC, and compact flash! The Canon OTOH, uses just ONE memory format..

Why was I banned from the site. It said i did not have permission to view the page and i did not do anything wrong. all i want is a nice place to talk about pictures i have uploaded its not really fair i am banned from so many sites now

Sony is not a camera company, it is a consumer electronics company.
Maybe thats not a good choice of words, even if I have to agree to the general statement. Sony sucks at many things:

- optics (they heavily rely on others for that)
- ergonomics (the cameras are poor to hold, the menu system is infamous)
- reliability (in general but also overheating during video)
- construction (for example they use an APS-C mount for full frame cameras)
- build quality and service (some real horror stories about that out there)
- price (high prices in general and they tend to give you poor products for high prices)
- system building (getting yourself a great set of lenses for every purpose, getting flash support etc)
- design (getting a good well rounded product out)

They cant tell you the difference between a camera and a washing machine. They produce both. Its the same to them.

They are unable to make a camera thats fun to use. They dont even have a first clue about that.

They are unable to make a camera that can create great results easily. Their color management for example is off, requiring post production from the photographer when other companies manage to look great out of camera.

They dont make lasting products. Build quality problems and lack of support.

They are unable to make optics that are awesome, and thats the most important skill for any photographic company. For example thats the reason why Leica still exists, while Hasselblad went under.

So what they are great at ?
- Electronics; everyone uses their sensors
- Looking good on paper (data sheets)
- Gimmicks (like Eye AF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back