Best Canon lenses?

right, basically it vibrates the lens to compensate for the shake from you not being able to hold it perfectly smoothly. Thus, it doesn't help much if you are using a tripod or something of the like because the camera isn't shaking much.

right, basically it vibrates the lens to compensate for the shake from you not being able to hold it perfectly smoothly. Thus, it doesn't help much if you are using a tripod or something of the like because the camera isn't shaking much.

OK... so what if I have cerebral palsy? Is there a version for me?

It doesnt help at all using a tripod, if you are using a tripod and an is lens, the IS should be turned off. It will actually add shake if your using a tripod. Just remember Is doesnt help with motion blur from the subject. I second teh 17-55 2.8 and 70-200, if you can rent another camera or are borrowing from your friend, do so and slap the 70-200 on that. That gives you access to pretty much every focal length you will need instantly.

A combination of 24-70 f/2.8 L and 70-200 f/2.8 L would be my choice if I did weddings.
Both on full frame since I would also want some wide angle.

70-200 for sure. I shoot the processional with a 28-70 from up front, but then its to the back of the church or the balcony to shoot the rest at around 200. I try to sneak up the sides to get the parents as well...

huff3.jpg

wed48.jpg

The 200 works great at the reception as well before the lights are turned out for the dance. No one sees you taking pics of them cause you are so far away...

wed51.jpg

wed52.jpg

And I would use no other lens for the artistic shots of the couple...

wed44.jpg

Hope this helped you.

Doug Raflik

The 200 works great at the reception as well before the lights are turned out for the dance
I agree...but I try not to take photos of people while they are shoveling food into their mouths ;)

Fast glass is key for weddings and candid portraits...I swear by Sigma especially for weddings since you are going to be doing some pretty serious PP to your shots anyway, negating your very slight optical quality differences from Canon.

I've also had good success with Tamron equipment - the new Tamron 70-200 2.8 is only $700(!) and is getting great reviews all over the place.

Agreed, I love my sigma lenses... I would like to get the 17-55 2.8 IS canon lens, but for now, I have purchased both the 18-50 2.8 sigma, and the 70-200 2.8 sigma for about 100 less than the 17-55 canon would be.

The tamron is another excellent 70-200 lens, unfortunately unlike both the canon and the sigma it doesn't have the usm/hsm. However, you can get it brand new for just a little more than a used sigma.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back