Best D-SLR for under $1000

Eli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for the best D-SLR i could get for under $1k! I would like it to have a lot of lens choices (that are not expensive either)! It would be better if it came with a lens or 2:p!I am only 16 so i dont have alot of money to spend! I would use it for sports,nature,macro,outdoor stuff mostly! Thanks for the help! I have been looking at the Pentax *ist DL DIGITAL SLR Is it a good camera for what i am looking to do with it?

Do you currently own any pentax lenses? If not, I would consider a Canon Rebel XT, or a Nikon D50.

Bear in mind that it may be difficult to stay under $1000, when you consider the need for compact flash memory, extra batttery (optional, but recommended) and especially if you want 2 lenses.

Considering your budget, I would stay with a DSLR that has backwards compatibility with older manual lenses; the Pentax *ist being one of them. You'll be able to stretch your budget way farther if your can live with a system of optically good manual lenses and the DSLR body.

I'm guessing that you are somewhat new to photography. If that's the case, I wouldn't go for a lot of lenses. I think you'll learn faster if you pick on or two so that you can get the basics down faster. A 50mm 1.8 and maybe a decent zoom would probably be a good starting place. I know that isn't the fun way to do it, but it's smarter for the wallet. You don't really know what lenses you're going to need until you shoot a lot. If you wait to buy a lens until you feel you really need it, you won't be wasting money on it when it ends up just sitting in your bag.

And while it's not popular to recommend, getting one of the DSLRs with non-interchangable lenses can be a less expensive way to start out and should do you well.

I'd suggest getting a pentax or a canon. They accept a lot of manual focus lenses.

You can put a split screen on the canon for about 80 bucks from fuhaoda or haodafu optics. They sell them on ebay. And then just get a 50/58 f/2 mm fast prime and a 28/2.8 as your normal lens. You can get them for less than 20-30 bucks and the quality will be better than any zoom.

If you can get the split screen for the pentax, then go for that camera.

usayit said:
Which Canon DSLR accepts manual lenses?
All of the EOS cams do. You just need an adapter.

You can put m42, nikon, contax, yashica, pentax and some other i forgot about it. The adapters are around 20 bucks each - it's just a metal ring.

markc said:
And while it's not popular to recommend, getting one of the DSLRs with non-interchangable lenses can be a less expensive way to start out and should do you well.

Agreed... I started on a Sony DSC- F717... I LOVED my macro shots I got.. was a super easy camera to learn on and has all of the manual settings. You can buy magnifier lenses that go on the end. You can get this, a bag, plenty of memory, etc. for a little over $1000 probably... in fact..i would sell you my stuff for $1000.. since I am now upgrading to the 5d.

I have -

Sony DSC 717
Macro Lens (Though I prefer its macro capabilites without this lens)
"Telephoto" 2X Lens
Strap
Leather Bag
4.5 Gig memory
Sony HVL-F1000 Flash
Flash Bracket
3 Batteries
Manual
Remote Trigger (wired)
UV Lens (Stays on it)
1 year left on the warranty w/ original receipt

ETA: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscf717.asp

See my website for example shots - everything on there is from this camera.

If you are intereseted pm me or email me at [email protected]

DocFrankenstein said:
All of the EOS cams do. You just need an adapter.

You can put m42, nikon, contax, yashica, pentax and some other i forgot about it. The adapters are around 20 bucks each - it's just a metal ring.

Ah... there is an adapter to attach just about any lens to any camera out there...The question is whether or not you really want to (or does that even count as "compatible") Most of the adapters will require to open the lens up, meter, set exposure, and stop the lens down manually. Not really the experience I would like to recommend to someone getting into the hobby spending a significant amount of money on a DSLR. I could understand if someone had an old Ziess lens that they still want to use but this is not the case.

The Pentax DSLR on the other hand is compatible with old manual K-mount lenses without the use of any adapter. Pentax designed the newer DLSRs and film SLRs with the proper linkage for K-mount lenses. These coated lenses are of good quality, easy to find, and affordable. About the only sacrifice you would make is the lack of Autofocus.... which you can purchase at a later date.

I am a canon guy. I love my Canon.. but the good lenses with the exception of the 50mm f1.8 are expensive. I consider my self extremely lucky to be able to afford what I have. But if I was not so fortunate, I would consider the following:

Pentax *ist DSLR = $500 (new. used even cheaper)
Extra battery = $35
1gb card = $100
Pentax SMC 50mm f1.4 = $120
Pentax SMC 135mm f3.5 = $65
Pentax SMC 28mm or 35mm f2.8 = $100
Pentax 40-80 F2.8-4 SMC M MACRO = $100

All the lenses would be Pentax branded, mult-coated, and used in good condition. You can probably find them cheaper if you look at ebay. But thats a grand total of $1020 and you not only have a zoom but primes as well. Thats a total of 4 lenses in very commonly used focal lengths to learn. You should be happy for quite a long time. Oops I forgot a flash but you get the point.

Now the only reason why I would choose pentax is that I collect their equipment and thus comfortable with their older equipment. I am sure someone familiar with Nikon or other DSLR brands with backward compatibility with older lenses can make a suggestion.

another vote for the canon 350d/rebel xt :D !!!

If you're going for Pentax I'd probably recommend the *DS over the *DL. Pentax has just released some new DSLRs although I don't know whether they're much better than the *ists - their specifications seem almost identical, though their may be some improvements in performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back