Best D-SLR under a grand

cp3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am probably going to purchase a digital slr around christmas,any advice? I want to do all types of photography and eventually sports.

Under $1000 look at the Nikon D50 or D70s and the Canon 350D, I'm not sure where the Canon 30D is priced, but it might be close to your budget. All are excellent, it's just a matter of which feels best in your hand, which has controls and menus that make sense to you. Sony also just came out with the A100 that is right around $1000, as is the Nikon D80.

You should also consider Canon's new Rebel XTi.

Buy a cam body based on the glass available for your need.

In most all case that will come down to Nikon or Canon.

LWW

IMO the 20d is the best in that price range. the 350d, d70s and d50 are behind that. the rebel xti is a different story though...that should be out by Christmas for under $1k. If you dont want 5fps, the faster shutter speed, or the beefier build, then i'd definitely go with the xti. it beats the pants off the 350d, the d70s, and the d50.

forzaF1 said:
D50 or D70s. No doubt.

No doubt :lol::lmao:

You'll get loads of different opinions on here as to which camera is better. My advice would be to go to a camera store and try them out - I doubt you'll be disappointed if you pick Nikon or Canon, though the Pentax K100 looks pretty good also (though maybe I am sentimental as I have an old K1000 film camera)

LWW said:
Buy a cam body based on the glass available for your need.

In most all case that will come down to Nikon or Canon.

LWW
no, it comes down to which canon to get.

but as stated above, the new XTi should be on shelves soon (in 2 weeks, actually). offering a compact size slr with a 10mp resolution.

Not to start a "Who makes the better car - BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Chevy or Chrysler argument ", IMHO, for NEW dSLR's, the Sony Alpha gets the nod.

Given the proven Konica-MINOLTA A mount, ALL Konica-MINOLTA AND future SONY lenses become/are vibration-reduced. There are approximately 16 million Konica-MINOLTA lenses currently to be had - watch for Carl Zeiss lenses to be coming out through SONY.

Watch photokina 2006 to see how much Sony will be invested in "still" photography...as i too hope!!!!

fm

Depending on availability and mark up, my vote would go for the Nikon D80. But I use Nikon. The price area has alot of options now. Handle them. See what feels right. They will all make technically good shots. Just depends on what you point it at.

Awww you Canon Fanboys are so cute <pinches cheek> :lol:

bitteraspects said:
... no, it comes down to which canon to get...

rmh159 said:
Awww you Canon Fanboys are so cute <pinches cheek> :lol:
astually sweetheart, im a long time SONY "fanboy", and notice, even i didnt suggest the alpha. the XTi it by far rge better choice. while the alpha does have some interesting features, and does fall under the "under $1000" category, in the end, the facts remain. thanks to the mount on the alpha, it will have the same problems that your POS d50 will in the longrun. too many analog functions left externally, will lead to the malfunction or wear of tiny parts. . and canon isnt the TOP name in slr's for no reason. not to mention canon glass is proven to be te best. maybe down the road, zeiss wil develop some quality glass for the alpha, but currently, there is nothing on the market that can be compared to canon's L glass. its in the books. but i dont expect you read much.

:hugs:

have a nice day

Most reactions

New Topics

Back