Best digital camera for fashion/editorial style portrait photography?

tinkerbell50404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is the best digital camera for Fashion/Editorial Style Portrait Photography?

My budget it about $600-800. I am looking for a camera that can attach a 200-300mm lens to it to for DOF. And I would like to be able to manually set the aperture.

Hmm...Canon Rebel XT on ebay! But I'm a noob so wait for a pro. I am just keeping your budget in mind.

please copy and paste the below questions with as many answers as you can give, this way others can help you to find a camera that fits your needs.

Many of you wonder what type of digital camera you should get. Before you ask, make sure you answer these following questions. This would help us greatly and save a ton of time.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

2)What is your megapixel preference? (The higher the megapixel count, the larger your image dimensions.)

3) What size camera would you prefer?
a. SLR; 1.5 lb+
b. SLR-like (Prosumer); >1.5lb
c. Compact; >0.75lb
d. Ultra-Compact; >0.5lb

4) What subjects will you be shooting with the camera?

5) Do you want the ability to change your lenses?

6) Do you plan to do any heavy post-processing in Photoshop (or related programs) or do you want to print images straight from the camera?

7) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

icon_cool.gif
Is battery life a concern to you, and how many shots do you hope to take?

9) Do you mind buying the camera online without seeing the camera in person?

10) Did you plan to make large prints or mere snapshots with the camera?

11) Do you want a large rear LCD to view your pictures with?

12) Is the camera's looks and stylishness important to you?

13) How long do you want the camera to last?

14) How much storage capacity do you want? (this is memory card dependent, but some mediums are cheaper than the other)

15) Do you need a video recording capability?

Please state any additional features you need/want. If you don't know how to answer a question or don't care about what it is asking then just say so!

I hope I got much of what there is to cover.. This wiill continually evolve

tinkerbell50404 said:
What is the best digital camera for Fashion/Editorial Style Portrait Photography?

My budget it about $600-800. I am looking for a camera that can attach a 200-300mm lens to it to for DOF. And I would like to be able to manually set the aperture.
the best camera(s) for fashion and editorial photography is probably a phasone p45, a leaf digital back, or a canon 1dsII/5d. unfortunately those cameras are around $3,000-$30,000...so you might not be able to get the best. honestly, you are going to have a hard time getting a good dslr and lens for that budget. if you squeeze in some areas you can, though. you don't need a 200-300mm lens to get shallow DoF. if you have a more 'normal' lens like a 35mm, 50mm, or 85mm with a relatively wide maximum aperture (for 300mm and above f4 is pretty shallow DoF, for 85-200mm f2.8 is shallow, and from 35-75mm f2 is shallow) then that will be MUCH cheaper (nice 200-300mm lenses are anywhere from $600-$4000) and easier to shoot with. You should consider a 50mm f/1.8 prime for your lens. it can get shallow DoF for waist up shots, and pretty darn shallow DoF on head and shoulders/headshots. If you can find a digital rebel xt from canon on ebay for $700, you could get the 50mm 1.8 for $75 or so and have a light kit for less than your budget. that's pretty much the only way to do it, unless there are other variables i missed...

Also consider that for your budget you're going to be getting a smaller sensor which means a conversion factor of 1.6. Shooting portraits with a 320-480mm lens seems like a bit of overkill.

Yeah, 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for portraits.

darin3200 said:
Also consider that for your budget you're going to be getting a smaller sensor which means a conversion factor of 1.6. Shooting portraits with a 320-480mm lens seems like a bit of overkill.

Yeah, 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for portraits.
yep. strangely enough though, alot of fashion photographers that shoot makeup and close up face stuff (and some head/shoulder stuff) actually shoot with 400-600mm monster telephotos...something about the perspective compression. odd.

thebeginning said:
yep. strangely enough though, alot of fashion photographers that shoot makeup and close up face stuff (and some head/shoulder stuff) actually shoot with 400-600mm monster telephotos...something about the perspective compression. odd.

That would be one big studio...

Thank you guys so much for your help.

I actuallly increased my budget, did some research, and ended up ordering the Nikon Digital SLR D70s. I also splurged and got the Nikon-55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens-2156.

It actually has a depth of field menu option and viewer. As a beginner, it seems to have a lot of user-friendly options.

I know this isn't the best-of-the-best, but do you guys think this is a decent camera for fashion/editorial at least to start off with?

tinkerbell50404 said:
I know this isn't the best-of-the-best, but do you guys think this is a decent camera for fashion/editorial at least to start off with?

yes, it sure is. you should be able to do some great stuff with that (remember, it's not the equipment, it's the photographer).

i might be contradicting my last statement with this, but if you want good DoF (or lack thereof) you should still get the 50mm 1.8. that 55-200 won't cut shallow DoF.

Most reactions

Back