Best Digital SLR (your opinion please)

ctwehues

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Although I just now jumped into this hobby, I wanted to know what you all considered the best Digital SLR/best deal on digital slrs to date. It will be quite sometime before I purchase one, but seeing that my nikon AF-Dtype lenses will all work on a nikon, I;d be itnerested in one later.

Including all brands, which ones do you think are the best?
Thanks again for your help!
Craig

Well if you've got Nikon lenses you're better off sticking to Nikon. And if you want the best but aren't buying yet then the D2X will be available in a month or so :)

When I buy a digital it will be a Nikon D70. I'm really not into blowing up pics to poster size so 6.1MP is enough for me. If you already own Nikon AF glass, I guess the determining factor will be your pocketbook...

For 35mm sized/styled DSLRs it has to be the Canon 1Ds Mark II. The "medium format" sized/styled DSLRs are probably even better. Or were you talking about those DSLRs that cost less than a new car? ;)

Canon 1Ds Mark II makes me drool!

In a few years I'm sure this will affordable technology. Gives me plenty of time to practice so I can make poster size prints!

In the time before that becomes affordable the 20D is a pretty good compromise. I love mine, but as you have Nikon glass I'd say run with a Nikon body as well... and that is where my knowledge is flawed.. I'm not too familiar with the Nikon range.

Since this is your new-found hobby...
D70 if you prefer Nikon
D20 if you prefer Canon

until the next model comes out few months down the lane. ;)

Rhubarb said:
Canon 1Ds Mark II makes me drool!

In a few years I'm sure this will affordable technology. Gives me plenty of time to practice so I can make poster size prints!

You don't need 16mp to make poster sized prints. 6.3 will do.

what about the canon 300D/digital rebel? if you buy it before 31st january, u can get £100 cashback from the claim form on canons website!

get the one that feels best in your hands when you go to the store and try THEM ALL out. dont settle for something you havent held.

md

MDowdey said:
get the one that feels best in your hands when you go to the store and try THEM ALL out. dont settle for something you havent held.

That's a good point. I was sort of surprised at how small the Canon 20D seemed when I checked it out in a store.

ksmattfish said:
That's a good point. I was sort of surprised at how small the Canon 20D seemed when I checked it out in a store.

I was a bit surprised as well, but I have the battery grip for it, which makes it much bigger, and a little heavier, which I like.

Digital Matt said:
I was a bit surprised as well, but I have the battery grip for it, which makes it much bigger, and a little heavier, which I like.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I always liked a battery grip on my 35mm film AF SLRs. I like small cameras (such as the Olympus Styles Epic which I always describe as big as a bar of soap that's been used for a few showers ;) ), but when it comes to a SLR I need a little more to grip onto with my big hands and fat fingers.

Most reactions

Back