best dslr camera for video, stills? shooting stills and video simultaneously?

newbnewb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello!

i am relatively new to this but it seems the trend is shooting stills and video simultanesouly, and to maximize future work and chances at making money, i want/need to do both.

what camera(s) or equipment would you recommend?

what do you think about this on DIY photography:

A DIY 9Shooter: Shooting Stills & Video Simultaneously & Audio Too!

A DIY 9Shooter: Shooting Stills & Video Simultaneously & Audio Too! | DIYPhotography.net

The post below shows a simple way to capture video while taking still pictures. Sure, there is some added weight and yea, video will not get a dedicated person and will just "follow along", yet, this is a neat way to achieve video with just one person shooting, This is also a great instructional tool for yourself to see how you interact with your model, what things work and what makes them shrink.
There are two versions for this mod - a dueler which mounts a DSLR with a video camera and a 9Shooter that also has sound attached.

is this the future of shooting stills and video together which i should be focused on?

do you guys recommend hiring assistants to do all the video? would that not add up to a lot of money pretty quickly?

do any of you use your dslrs for video too? do you have separate cameras for video?

thanks for the advice!!

seems like it could be fun/profitable to become an expert of simultaneous video/stills shooting! a good career move?

If your looking to make money at it - buy 2 separate items a DSLR and a video recorder.

Professional video equipment tends to be big and sits on your shoulder or a tripod - forget a Sony Handicam!

A DSLR is capable of taking extreme close ups with a large focal length lens ... do you really want a video of you zooming into a face to back off and recompose? Probably not. IMO the video portion of the DSLR is just for occasional use by amateurs.

EDIT: I just read the blurb about 2 separate items ... forget that as well. 1 professional needs to be attentive to his or her objective. I believe at least 2 professionals doing 2 separate things.

Check this out - Apparently the House MD season finale was shot entirely with the Canon 5D MKII.

I find this subject really interesting, and I am such a huge film fan. I have a massive film collection.

Its so cool that all you need is a DSLR (certain ones) and pro level lenses to shoot broadcast quality video.

From my experience shooting video with my 7D though, you really need to know what you are doing. I find it quite difficult, mostly due to the lack of autofocus.

From my experience shooting video with my 7D though, you really need to know what you are doing. I find it quite difficult, mostly due to the lack of autofocus.

The director addresses this briefly in the short Q&A section. Interesting to hear they are creating new lenses now to improve this. :)

The director addresses this briefly in the short Q&A section. Interesting to hear they are creating new lenses now to improve this. :)

I hope that the 5D mk III has some new breakthrough AF system for video. I got my eye on that camera, and will probably be getting it when it comes out.

If your looking to make money at it - buy 2 separate items a DSLR and a video recorder.

Professional video equipment tends to be big and sits on your shoulder or a tripod - forget a Sony Handicam!

A DSLR is capable of taking extreme close ups with a large focal length lens ... do you really want a video of you zooming into a face to back off and recompose? Probably not. IMO the video portion of the DSLR is just for occasional use by amateurs.

EDIT: I just read the blurb about 2 separate items ... forget that as well. 1 professional needs to be attentive to his or her objective. I believe at least 2 professionals doing 2 separate things.

Great issue of DIGITAL SLR PHOTOGRAPHY from the UK!!! Check out the very last page where Caroline Wilikinson writes:
“….HD video is slowly entering the marketplace as standard in DSLRs and pros will be eventually expected to deliver web-worthy package of movies and stills. There are already examples of where stills and moves have been merged. For instance, have you noticed the moving magazine covers or corporate portraits on website? Video is already starting to take the place of pictures on news provider’s websites too. It was always said a picture is worth a thousand words, well now you can get 24 frames-per-second—now that’s a lot more words….
HD video is set to take over commerical and advertising photography as campaigns turn from print to online. And editorial photography is in question too. … People argue that the magazine industry is solid, that most people like the feel of a magazine each month in thr hands...But is the apple ipad just a fad or thr start of something far more progressive? Photographers will more than likely have to learn how to shoot multimedia, edit video and more importantly come up with creative solutions that blow the amateur out of the water, if they’re to continue earning incomes as a full-time pro."
—Caroline Wilikinson, p. 146, Parting Shot, August 2010, Digital SLR Photogaphy, (from the UK)

looks like this is the future:
A DIY 9Shooter: Shooting Stills & Video Simultaneously & Audio Too! | DIYPhotography.net

I still think it'll be a flash type "future". Putting things on the web or selling a news story to a network doesn't necessarily equal quality, it could but it just has to be watchable. Shooting a network show with a DSLR was done but I'm sure they treated that DSLR as a movie camera and not changing the unit back and forth from still to video and I would imagine they used extremely talented camera people to shoot the show.

Great issue of DIGITAL SLR PHOTOGRAPHY from the UK!!! Check out the very last page where Caroline Wilikinson writes:
“….HD video is slowly entering the marketplace as standard in DSLRs and pros will be eventually expected to deliver web-worthy package of movies and stills. There are already examples of where stills and moves have been merged. For instance, have you noticed the moving magazine covers or corporate portraits on website? Video is already starting to take the place of pictures on news provider’s websites too. It was always said a picture is worth a thousand words, well now you can get 24 frames-per-second—now that’s a lot more words….
HD video is set to take over commerical and advertising photography as campaigns turn from print to online. And editorial photography is in question too. … People argue that the magazine industry is solid, that most people like the feel of a magazine each month in thr hands...But is the apple ipad just a fad or thr start of something far more progressive? Photographers will more than likely have to learn how to shoot multimedia, edit video and more importantly come up with creative solutions that blow the amateur out of the water, if they’re to continue earning incomes as a full-time pro."
—Caroline Wilikinson, p. 146, Parting Shot, August 2010, Digital SLR Photogaphy, (from the UK)

looks like this is the future:

I snorted. :lol: :lmao:

Silly rabbit. Trix are for kids.

Seriously, check out the 7D: Has HD video and you can take pictures while shooting video.

LMAO: "looks like this is the future" :p

you can laugh all u want, but the 7d can't shoot stills and video simultaneously. it is either one or the other. hence this is the future:

so says the magazine DIGITAL SLR PHOTOGRAPHY from the UK!!!

Great issue of DIGITAL SLR PHOTOGRAPHY from the UK!!!
Check out the very last page where Caroline Wilikinson writes:
“…. HD video is slowly entering the marketplace as standard in DSLRs and pros will be eventually expected to deliver web-worthy package of movies and stills. There are already examples of where stills and moves have been merged. For instance, have you noticed the moving magazine covers or corporate portraits on website? Video is already starting to take the place of pictures on news provider’s websites too. It was always said a picture is worth a thousand words, well now you can get 24 frames-per-second—now that’s a lot more words….
HD video is set to take over commerical and advertising photography as campaigns turn from print to online. And editorial photography is in question too. … People argue that the magazine industry is solid, that most people like the feel of a magazine each month in thr hands…But is the apple ipad just a fad or thr start of something far more progressive? Photographers will more than likely have to learn how to shoot multimedia, edit video and more importantly come up with creative solutions that blow the amateur out of the water, if they’re to continue earning incomes as a full-time pro."

well i guess the big question is, "is anyone making money shooting stills and video simultaneously?" :)

Seriously, check out the 7D: Has HD video and you can take pictures while shooting video.

you can laugh all u want, but the 7d can't shoot stills and video simultaneously. it is either one or the other. hence this is the future:

“…. HD video is slowly entering the marketplace as standard in DSLRs and pros will be eventually expected to deliver web-worthy package of movies and stills. There are already examples of where stills and moves have been merged. For instance, have you noticed the moving magazine covers or corporate portraits on website? Video is already starting to take the place of pictures on news provider’s websites too. It was always said a picture is worth a thousand words, well now you can get 24 frames-per-second—now that’s a lot more words….
HD video is set to take over commerical and advertising photography as campaigns turn from print to online. And editorial photography is in question too. … People argue that the magazine industry is solid, that most people like the feel of a magazine each month in thr hands…But is the apple ipad just a fad or thr start of something far more progressive? Photographers will more than likely have to learn how to shoot multimedia, edit video and more importantly come up with creative solutions that blow the amateur out of the water, if they’re to continue earning incomes as a full-time pro."

That magazine is CRAP

That magazine is CRAP

Really? Is National Geographic crap too?

45surf 9SHOOTER HD video audio stills photography: "National Geographic now looks to only hire still photographers who are also video-trained!" "National Geographic now looks to only hire still photographers who are also video-trained!"
Well, you can't ignore National Geographic photographers and editors with over 25-years of career experience! --from: http://9shooter.blogspot.com/2010/09/national-geographic-now-looks-to-only.html

IMO the video portion of the DSLR is just for occasional use by amateurs.

Fortunately, that's just your opinion and not the factual trend of what a lot of people are calling the HDSLR.

cinema5d.com is just a small forum, but has many talented film makers. The 5D MKII has been used in commercials, movies, TV shows, etc...

There are a lot of professional film makers using DSLRs. In fact, it pretty much changed the whole indie film scene. You can have a camera, that despite certain limitations, can put out a better quality product than a $15,000 HD video camera for the fraction of the price.

And not to mention, when Vincent Laforet shot one of his videos with a Canon 1D MKIV, he did so with ambient street light. That was something that was pretty much unheard of until film makers had access to a video camera that could shoot at 6400+ ISO, had such a big sensor, and could use lenses with suge huge apertures.

I bought a carbon fiber shoulder rig for $300ish. I can buy a follow focus for about $500 and I'll have a perfectly good HD video camera setup.

Really? Because own a T1i, and I can take all the photos I want while shooting video. And it's older than the 7D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back