Best DSLR lens to shoot video on low light conditions

ruiaarantes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here's the thing, I've been making some promotional videos and covering some local events and I've came across with the same problem over and over, when the night falls or when I'm shooting a concert or any other show in a dark environment I can get get a clear image, my lens fills the picture with noise due to high ISO values. Does anyone know a way to go around this issue? a larger aperture lens? which one?

You have to either provide more light or use the light you have better with faster glass. You may be able to do each of these a little and get the ISO down to where the noise is reduced to the point you can clean it up in post-process.

At some point there is so little light your only option is to add light to the scene, because you have to shoot video at at least 24/25/30 frames per second.
As a rule of thumb, you want the denominator of your shutter speed to be approximately double the number of frames per second that you are recording.

Plus, and also because of the video frame rate you can't use flash and have to use constant light.
A flash unit can't recycle fast enough to keep up with the video frame rate.

Shooting video adds a level of technical complexity to using a DSLR.
If you're not well versed in the technical aspects of how a DSLR works and makes video you're going to have a lot of trouble consistently producing quality video for the customers of your proposed or new business.

Frame Rate Vs. Shutter Speed - Setting The Record Straight

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back