Best filter(s) for Pentax 50mm f/1.7 ?

Irminsul

'The Column of Heaven'
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got one of my daughters a Pentax ZX-M camera for a photography course that begins next month. At the suggestion of TPF members, I also got her a used manual focus 50mm f/1.7. This is a great lens and I got it in LN condition. The option presents itself, however, to adapt a good filter to this manual lens. Any suggestions regarding which is the recomended filters among the types and size(s) that would fits a manual Pentax 50mm?

Have a look at the lens, one the front it should show the filter thread diameter. That's your size.

A beginner's photography course probably won't deal with filters...which I think is a good idea. Learn the basics first, learn what the camera & film can and will do then learn when & how to use filters. If there is one filter that I wouldn't want to be without, it's a circular polarizer. When shooting outdoors in color...it will really help.

Thanks for the reply, Big Mike. The lens ring says "50mm" of course, but the lens cap itself says 49mm, so I wasn't sure about the precise relationship between lens diameter and corresponding filter diameter. I guess I'll look for a polarized circular filter when the time comes. In South Florida, especially during this time of year, you need a filter even if you shoot in the early morning, unless its really cloudy or overcast.

BTW, sorry about the double signons. That's what happens when two family members use the same computer to visit the same forum!

I think I have the same lens and it is a 49mm size for filters. I think it has a 49 and then a zero with a slash through it (49ø) which indicates the filter size. This is an excellent lens by the way. It's a little hard to get a sharp focus as you get closer to 1.7 though. I eventually got the 50mm 1.4 AF for that reason, as I was missing some nice shots of my daughter due to it being slightly out of focus.

Johnboy2978 said:
I think I have the same lens and it is a 49mm size for filters. I think it has a 49 and then a zero with a slash through it (49ø) which indicates the filter size. This is an excellent lens by the way. It's a little hard to get a sharp focus as you get closer to 1.7 though. I eventually got the 50mm 1.4 AF for that reason, as I was missing some nice shots of my daughter due to it being slightly out of focus.

Thanks Johnboy. BTW, I notice that you have a Sigma zoom lens for your Pentax cameras. Do you recommend it for the ZX-M? The reason I ask is that I may be getting another ZX-M, this one for myself. I've tried it out and like having the control afforded by a manual setup.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far I like very much the results I get from it, and it seems like a very nice lens. It has an aperture of 2.8 all the way through the focal range. It is kind of heavy though with all the glass. Some reviews said they found it a little soft on focus at 2.8 at 200mm, but it seems to do very well for me. I got it new from CametaCamera off Ebay. They were selling them for $599. At stores like B/H where I usually shop, I think they run around $830 or so.

You can check out the reviews at fredmiranda.com

B&HPhotovideo is where I placed my order for the second camera. Those remaining ZX-M's are going fast! Thank you all again for your replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back