best first lense for 50D ???...help please

liboubou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everybody I am planning on getting the 50D and I am having a hard time figuring out what lens to start with...something of good quality but that doesn't cost more than the camera itself and that is the most useful. I do not yet need to specialize in landscaping or macro or anything in particular... any advice will help thanks a lot...

I agree about starting with the 28-135 kit lens. It's a $400 lens that only costs $200 when bought with the 50D. It has a pretty useful zoom range and is image stabilized, which I can't imagine living without.

When you're done with the kit lens, you can easily sell it for $30, which is essentially more than you paid for it.

However, if your budget allows, a great lens is the Canon 17-55 IS. It's about $1000 new. This is by far my more used lens.

Why two threads?

DavidTK, I hope you meant $300...

The kit lenses are priced right,.. but good glass ultimately makes the difference. Maybe I can see mine now...

-Shea

I can vouch for Canon's 17-85mm f/4-5.6. It's a very good lens for walking around. I have it attached to a 20D or 30D 75% of the time.

I can vouch for Canon's 17-85mm f/4-5.6. It's a very good lens for walking around. I have it attached to a 20D or 30D 75% of the time.

I agree. 17-85 is a very good kit lens for 40D and 50D though I would prefer a faster lens like the 17-55 2.8 IS USM since I am a fan of handheld low light and night photography :D but if you plan on to upgrade to a fullframe camera later you may want to get the 28-135 instead

I would get the 17-55 2.8. I got my 40D with the 28-135 and I cannot stand that lens. Not near wide enough on a 50D.

Derrick

I believe the 50D will come with an optional 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens. It's supposed to compete with Nikon's current best selling lens.

17-55 2.8

The only reason this is not a "kit lens" is because of the cost and superb quality. Best general purpose lens you can get.

The best lens you can get for the 50D is the most expensive one you can afford.

Start with a decent kit lens to learn the ropes. The EF-S 17-85 IS is a great lens. the 28-135 is just not wide enough on a crop body. The 17-85 equates to a 28-135 anyway after the crop conversion. the 17-55 f/2.8 IS is better, but cost as much as the camera. The 18-200 is ho-hum. The range is nice, but the performance is lacking. I found that past 135mm, you really do not gain that much zoom to 200mm. DPReview posted a test of this lens recently.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back