Best flash diffuser for portraits and weddings?

If I have to point it head on like I did here what would
you suggest, could you link the wide angle plastic attachment your talking about?
Pointed head on, the Fong Dong or the wide angle panel won't really improve your lighting at all. Well, the Fong will help a little if you are really close to your subject, but otherwise, not much.

The main thing that we are trying to do, to improve the light from our flash, is to soften the light. The ONLY way to soften light, is to make the source bigger and/or move it closer to the subject. In other words, to make it softer, it has to be bigger, relative to the subject.
So with that in mind, look at all the flash accessories. The Fong Dong does make the light source a little larger, but not by much. At the same time, it's throwing light everywhere. The Omnibouce doesn't increase the size, the Flip It barely increases the size, the wide angle panel doesn't increase the size at all. No any of those options, doesn't really give you softer light...when it's being used directly to the subject.

But that's why we bounce. When you bounce light off of the wall or ceiling, the light source becomes the area that the flash beam is hitting...which will be quite large (unless you are really close to the subject). So that's why most of these accessories are meant to be used in conjunction with bouncing the light off of walls or ceiling etc. So when you consider that, the quality of the surfaces around you, will dictate how effective these accessories can be.

If you are in a situation where you can't (or don't want to) bounce...then your best bet for improved light from your flash, is to enlarge it (or, of course, get it off the camera). So it enlarge the light source, you could use something like an umbrella or softbox (not a great or possible when the flash is on-camera). That's why I carry the Super Scoop. That is about as big of an object that I can have attached to my camera/flash.

Of course, with all this talk of improving your flash....you still need to able to control your flash exposure and your ambient exposure. And being able to control the balance between the two. If you can't do that, the accessories won't matter much.

Well I usually control the balance of ambient and flash with ISO and longer shutter speeds when needed. I stopped using Av in this scenario because I don't like how little control I get. One of my friends uses the scoop and swears by it, is a DIY scoop good enough or is it not as good as the one by light-genius?

Well I usually control the balance of ambient and flash with ISO and longer shutter speeds when needed. I stopped using Av in this scenario because I don't like how little control I get. One of my friends uses the scoop and swears by it, is a DIY scoop good enough or is it not as good as the one by light-genius?
When I'm shooting with flash (and usually when I'm not), I've got the camera in manual mode...which makes quick and easy to control your ambient exposure, in relation to your flash exposure.

A DIY scoop will probably work just as well. It's just a sheet of white foam. Of course, the bigger the better (for softness). As I mentioned, my DIY scoop worked, but it wasn't flexible because it used a plastic mesh for rigidity. The Scoop that I have, a metal wire frame, so it will slightly hold the shape you bend it to. Another factor was that my DIY scoop looked homemade. Not a big deal, but when I'm being paid to shoot a classy event (like a nice wedding), then I'd prefer to look more professional and less 'home made'.

One thing that gets forgotten in the diffuser wars is that no matter how diffuse the light is, if it's coming straight on from the camera it's going to be flat light and doesn't give dimensionality to your subjects. Not only should there be highlights there needs to be shadow.

The shadow comes from either having the light off camera or bouncing it off of a reflective surface.

On camera tupperware tends to fail at both of these.

Gosh this varies almost every time. I guess if I was down to bare bones I would use my ETTL cord and a StoFen. It's nice though when you can set up your lighting ideas and fit the situation to your vision then think about what tools to use instead of vv.

If I have to point it head on like I did here what would
you suggest, could you link the wide angle plastic attachment your talking about?
Pointed head on, the Fong Dong or the wide angle panel won't really improve your lighting at all. Well, the Fong will help a little if you are really close to your subject, but otherwise, not much.

The main thing that we are trying to do, to improve the light from our flash, is to soften the light. The ONLY way to soften light, is to make the source bigger and/or move it closer to the subject. In other words, to make it softer, it has to be bigger, relative to the subject.
So with that in mind, look at all the flash accessories. The Fong Dong does make the light source a little larger, but not by much. At the same time, it's throwing light everywhere. The Omnibouce doesn't increase the size, the Flip It barely increases the size, the wide angle panel doesn't increase the size at all. No any of those options, doesn't really give you softer light...when it's being used directly to the subject.

But that's why we bounce. When you bounce light off of the wall or ceiling, the light source becomes the area that the flash beam is hitting...which will be quite large (unless you are really close to the subject). So that's why most of these accessories are meant to be used in conjunction with bouncing the light off of walls or ceiling etc. So when you consider that, the quality of the surfaces around you, will dictate how effective these accessories can be.

If you are in a situation where you can't (or don't want to) bounce...then your best bet for improved light from your flash, is to enlarge it (or, of course, get it off the camera). So it enlarge the light source, you could use something like an umbrella or softbox (not a great or possible when the flash is on-camera). That's why I carry the Super Scoop. That is about as big of an object that I can have attached to my camera/flash.

Of course, with all this talk of improving your flash....you still need to able to control your flash exposure and your ambient exposure. And being able to control the balance between the two. If you can't do that, the accessories won't matter much.

Big Mike, thanks for this. I'm glad I read this as it gives me some confidence that I at least have been trying to do it the optimal way. I struggle with flash and only have had acceptable results when bouncing bare flash or at least with a sto-fen pointed to the ceiling. It's not easy, it requires some geometry, and I'm terrible at it. I'll keep experimenting.

I was going to post a new thread, but it seems this topic is very close, so I'll continue it from here. I hope this doesn't come across as a hi-jack.

I need some advice on outdoor flash, where fill light is required, but all you have is an on camera flash and can't bounce since you're outdoors. I mostly take pictures of my kids at play - so what I do is not critical, but I want my shots to look the best I can make them. I've tried pointing the flash directly with and without using a sto-fen, and in many cases the flash comes across too harsh, too directional, with too much shadow. I was thinking that maybe I should try a mini softbox like the one linked earlier in this thread (5" x 8"). Have you had good results with this type of deal outdoors? Do they make the light "big" enough in your opinion when compared to a sto-fen? Lastly, I was thinking about just going the extra step and getting a softbox/stand and go off camera. I'm using a 430EX II. Maybe overkill, but do you think this would produce noticeably better results?

Thanks.

Since posting this thread originally and taking everyone's advice I've gone back to the drawing board so to speak.
I've been experimenting with some home made diffusers. These two seem to be the best IMO.
One which is a take on the Light Sphere and one that is a take on the lite-scoop.
$DIY-Gary-Fong-Lightsphere.jpg

$scoop-0472-600-msrp-2.jpg

The home made versions of both respectively cost only a few dollars to make.
If your in a reception hall with very high ceilings so bare bounce flash would not work,
which would be your choice?

cool stuff, ecphoto, this will bounce far away in the background. very good for high ceilings. thakns for the idea!

ECPhoto, How's the bubble wrapper thing works for you?
Any changes in color balance?

ECPhoto, How's the bubble wrapper thing works for you?
Any changes in color balance?

It gives good results when you can benefit from bounce flash. It gives some in a 360 around you and some to the ceiling. The colors stay true and it looks pretty great. Very similar to the Gary Fong lightsphere "clear".

I believe you. Why do you use it rotated 90 degrees?

Most reactions

Back