Best flash for the money?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to pick up a decent flash head to pair with my D5200. I don't necessarily intend to pick up a second flash head for dual flash photography, however I foresee that's very possible and very likely.

Originally I was looking at the SB-700 to start myself out so that I could have a commander flash unit. I found it on sale for $311.

However, a friend guided me toward this item: http://yn.eachshot.com/product/yong...ed-sync-hss-flash-speedlite-speedlight_nikon/
I saw this wireless transmitter they're selling as well: http://yn.eachshot.com/product/yong...-flash-trigger-2-transceivers-for-nikon-dslr/

I'm wondering whether the wireless transmitter + the Yongnuo 568ex would be a superior route to go over the SB-700?

I'm new to flash photography, and I don't know how important certain features will be. I'm not looking to save a lot and get a super basic flash, but I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg on something that's way more than what I need. I want to be able to grow with any gear that I purchase from here on in, but I also don't want to feel like I spent too much on my gear and end up watching the gear get dated as I learn how to use it. As far as the foreseeable future goes, I could see myself using a max of 3 flash heads, likely I'll be interested in having 2, and I might only stick with 1... my budget is around $300 right now for my initial purchase, and I might not be buying for another month while I think things through.

As a noob that has had access to a ton of equipment to try out,I have to say that the SB-80DX is the best bang flash for the buck in the Nikon line.
It is an absolute monster that doesn't take a genius to operate in manual mode(as an idiot,that's all i know how to do)
Obviously,it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
I was looking for something simple and manual.
This one smashes it all.
Trigger wise,I tried a bunch and for the price,the CactusV5 was pretty good.
If I could afford them,the Pocket Wizard Plus X was great,but they were out of my price range especially after I checked out the latest Cactus triggers.
Really hope this helps.
P.S. I really doubt that any trigger and any Yongnuo could be superior to any SB-700.

I picked up a like new SB-400 for $40 shipped to my door. Small and efficient it does the trick for me. I have a Canon 199A and Nikon SB-28X as well for when things get complicated.

Yongnuos are great flashes, if you don't mind shooting without ttl metering.

Yongnuo are excellent!! I own 4 of them. Screw i-TTL. Manual flash is much simpler.

I would go with the Yongnuos, they are surprisingly well built. If sacrificing iTTL isn't a big deal to you.

I am currently selling a SB-600 though, it is used, comes with Nylon case and diffuser.
$130 Shipped

The yongnuo yn568ex has HSS and TTL for both their nikon and canon models.
Yongnuo also has new TTL radio triggers.

the older YN565EX does TTL but no HSS

Last edited:
I can't quite figure out what the benefit of iTTL is over regular TTL?

The Yungnuo seems to be the way to go... though I don't want to regret not getting an SB-700 over it (so I just want to make sure I'd prefer the Yongnuo).

The Yungnuo seems to be the way to go... though I don't want to regret not getting an SB-700 over it (so I just want to make sure I'd prefer the Yongnuo).

its just TTL.
nikon calls it iTTL and canon calls it eTTL

its just TTL.

The Yongnuo 568ex appears to have TTL, so I guess there's no downside going with it?

its just TTL.

The Yongnuo 568ex appears to have TTL, so I guess there's no downside going with it?

i just got mine in.
review here

I've had no problems with my yn-568. Great flash.

as much as I really like the yognuo flash i just picked up, I personally feel the BEST flashes for the money are a used OEM flash. Or a flash with equal features.
for under $300 you can get a lightly used SB-700, which i have as well, and it is a GREAT flash.

Edit: my 568ex was $170 brand new shipped so.... Pretty good deal there. Has pretty much same features as my sb700

Last edited:
as much as I really like the yognuo flash i just picked up, I personally feel the BEST flashes for the money are a used OEM flash. Or a flash with equal features.
for under $300 you can get a lightly used SB-700, which i have as well, and it is a GREAT flash.

Edit: my 568ex was $170 brand new shipped so.... Pretty good deal there. Has pretty much same features as my sb700

It's interesting you say that. If you were only using a single flash, and you were comparing the 568ex versus the sb700, what would you say the sb700 does that you'd miss when using the 568ex?

It's interesting you say that. If you were only using a single flash, and you were comparing the 568ex versus the sb700, what would you say the sb700 does that you'd miss when using the 568ex?

honestly? ive been messing with the sb700 on one camera, and the yn568 on another camera and i cant find any reason NOT to get the yongnuo over the sb700.
the 568 seems to outperform the sb700. i dont know how it would compare to a sb900 or sb910 since i dont have one of those, but i would get a YN568EX over a sb600 or sb700. The TTL feature on the 568 works flawlessly, the recycle time is FAST, and it has yet to fail to fire.
the yn568ex new is cheaper than a used sb700.

i would say, after testing a sb600, sb700, and yn568EX on two different cameras...I would recommend the YN568EX. if you dont care about HSS, the 565EX does TTL.
we will be getting a few more of the 568EX's, and i can easily see it replacing our sb700's as our "go to" on body flashes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back