Glostars

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.glostars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everybody,

What is the best gear I can use to get good winterish photographs?

I live in Finland and I always wanted to get good images during winter where everything gets snowy white and the cities are colorful. However sometimes my smatphone doesn't get the captures right. So now I'm considering to buy a budget DSLR or Mirrorless camera.

Do you have any suggestions?

A good heavy coat, some warm boots, oh wait you meant camera gear.

Sorry, bad joke from Finland you didn't need that.

Any of the major brands have good entry level DSLR's for the budget minded. Nikon or Cannon either one will be a good choice.

Last edited:
Second and third batteries (the cold will make them last shorter than normal). Keep the batteries close to your body heat using inside pockets of jackets or even shirt pockets if you have them. Not outside pockets or pants pockets. If you’re doing long exposures, a good tripod; one that has spikes of you plan to shoot in snow or ice. Hand warmers.

If you go the mirrorless route, I’d suggest looking at some of the smaller/pocketable cameras from Olympus or Panasonic. The Olympus EM10 or EM5, whichever is the latest mark, are good options, small, good IQ, and have the ability to change lenses.

Glögg

Maybe Santa will bring one. He lives up there don't he?:D

A good heavy coat, some warm boots, oh wait you meant camera gear.

Sorry, bad joke from Finland you didn't need that.

Any of the major brands have good entry level DSLR's for the budget minded. Nikon or Cannon either one will be a good choice.

Heheh... indeed I need to actually consider that I might be taking long session in cold weather so it's going to be cold. Thanks for your comment! I am considering getting a middle range (budget wise) DSLR to begin with.
All the best!

Second and third batteries (the cold will make them last shorter than normal). Keep the batteries close to your body heat using inside pockets of jackets or even shirt pockets if you have them. Not outside pockets or pants pockets. If you’re doing long exposures, a good tripod; one that has spikes of you plan to shoot in snow or ice. Hand warmers.

If you go the mirrorless route, I’d suggest looking at some of the smaller/pocketable cameras from Olympus or Panasonic. The Olympus EM10 or EM5, whichever is the latest mark, are good options, small, good IQ, and have the ability to change lenses.

I agree on the cold thing. Weather can be seriously harsh during winter here. I will probably take long sessions in the forest I definitely need to take in mind that factor. Temperature can drop to -25 in some places during the day.
I am inclining more towards DSLR for budget reasons, but one colleague of mine uses a mirrorless and he claims the camera is giving him excellent results. So who knows, maybe later I will make the change.

Thanks a lot for your insight! All the best!

If possible try before you buy wearing gloves.

I have tried sometimes taking photos with my cellphone camera during -20 C temperature and it's almost impossible to do it without gloves. So I will definitely need a camera that is confortable enough to do the clicks with thick gloves.

Thanks for that observation! All the best!

Do you have any suggestions?
Remember that when you bring a cold camera into a warm building, moisture will condense on it. At this time, do not remove the lens until everything warms to room temperature.

Depending on light conditions, a ND filter or polarizer may be in order.
Keep in mind that everyone here has had the experience of a cold camera into the warm room, but it cuts both ways. A warm camera in a cold environment will cause fogging quickly.

Secondly, if you play with a tripod, don't use grease to lubricate any parts of it. If your familiar with the problems with lubricants and cold you will know why.
(I have seen it done is why I bring it up.)

Keep in mind that most tripods are mad of either aluminum or carbon fiber. aluminum transfers heat and cold quickly. DON'T HANDLE THEM WITHOUT GLOVES BELOW ZERO DEG. Cel.

Anyone remember a Christmas Story?

Its advisable to plan ahead on any outdoor trips in the cold. Usual rules apply, but your carrying photo equipment that is subject to cold and worthless in extreme cold.

Tripping is common trudging through snow.
Unless your very balanced and have the reflexes to keep a camera above the snow line, its best to walk around with the camera strapped BEHIND you on your back! There is far less chance of it dropping and falling in the snow!

SUN SHADES SUN SHADES SUN SHADES!!!

They will GREATLY reduce glare and halos!

This /\. My other favorite hobby is fly fishing and I've found the foldover-mitt style gloves work great for both. You have the mitts for extra warmth when finger-dexterity isn't needed, and they fold down easily when you need to change settings. I really like the varied options of the brand linked above depending on how cold you intend to shoot in. Mine expose bare fingers when the mitts are folded down so they do have their limits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back