Best "go to" lens

Dym

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm mostly shooting kids and families and am primarily using a 50mm prime (on a Canon 70d)for most of my shoots, but am looking for a lens with more of a range but that still does well indoors and in low light. I'd like to find something reasonable priced (under~$500) and don't mind buying used. What would you recommend for a "go to" lens? Thanks!

For a crop sensor body, Sigma or Tamron 17-50 F/2.8.

I had the sigma 17-50 2.8, and its one of the few lens I ever regret selling. Terrific lens

On crop sensor I agree 17-50mm 2.8 lenses offer a good general use range.

I vouch for the sigma 17-50 2.8. Blows the kit 18-55 out the water. What I really like about it is that extra focus at the end if needed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Canon 15-85 or Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM EX

+1 for the already mentioned 17-50 from Sigma or Tamron. Hit up some reviews and choose the brand.

However, are you finding you need a wider-angle lens? Or is the issue not being able to reach as much, or, get wanting to get a better portrait look from a longer lens? The 17-50 would be a good walk-around lens if you are content with the 50 for the work you do. But if you are trying to expand on the portrait work, maybe rent a few 70mm+ lenses and see if those suit your need better.

I agree with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 suggestion—that’s not only a great lens, but also a terrific value. However, that repeats the focal length of your 50mm and gives you a narrower aperture; if you’d like an aperture that’s as wide as the 50’s and don’t mind having two different lenses, look for a used Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.

Most reactions

Back