Best "How-To" book for outdoor portraits?

xyllian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a decent amatuer photog and have mainly been doing scenics for the last five years or so. I've got a tripod and a decent Minolta Maxxum XTsi 35mm SLR but don't want to spend a lot more money on gear. I've got two lenses for it: a Quantaray 30-70 and a Quantaray 70-300 zoom.

I'm interested in doing outdoor portrait work (just for fun and friends not really trying to sell commercially). I have been looking on Amazon.com for good books on Portrait Photography but all the reviews seem conflicting and there are no clear stand-out books.

I'd be grateful for any advice on getting started with outdoor portrait work including books, lenses, lighting equipment, and film. I would like to do some b&w as well as color. The Minolta takes pretty darn good pics for being 5 years old so I'm not really looking to buy a new camera.

Thanks!

I have [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/158428045X/qid=1088475692/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl14/102-9054323-3010515?v=glance&s=books&n=507846] Professional Secrets of Natural Light Portrait Photography[/ame] by Douglas Allen Box, and I have really enjoyed it.

He uses both photographic examples and diagrams to teach, and covers all natural light portrait settings, outdoor and using window light, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back