Best Kit Lens Replacement

XXWIDE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a T3i with the 18-55 kit lens. What would be a good upgrade for this. Something of better quality and more range, near and far..
I see buying a camera is just a downpayment for the accessories. Its the same as my Harley.
I want this lens choice to be my every day all situation lens.
Later I want the best macro lens and a tele..... as finances permit.

I have a 18-135 that I got with my T3i that I really like. It's my every day lens for walking around because of its wide range of focal length.

There really isn't a 'best' solution in any one lens...unless your 'everyday' situation is very specific.

For example, if you want a lens that has a wider range (in terms of focal length) then you'll likely have to sacrifice image quality. The 'best' zoom lenses rarely give more than 3X zoom. (16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm etc.). And if you want the very best image quality, then you'd be looking at prime (non-zoom) lenses.

Also, when you're considering an upgrade to your stock kit lens...it's not just the focal length that you should look at....but also the maximum aperture. For example, one of the 'best' replacements for your kit lens is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. The focal range is almost identical, but the maximum aperture is larger and consistent throughout the zoom range (where your is variable). A larger aperture allows for more light, which can translate to faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISO...which can mean better quality photos.

But it's not just focal length and/or maximum aperture that you should be looking to upgrade...but the general quality of the lens. The 18-55mm kit lens was designed to be small, light and inexpensive....where as something like the 17-55mm F2.8 was designed to give you much better image quality...and as a result, it's much larger, heavier and more expensive.

There is still something to be said for convenience. It may be your choice to go with a lens that gives you a very wide focal length range...18-200mm for example. Something like that may give you what you want...and that's OK, as long as you're aware that's it's a compromise to the quality that you could get with a different lens.

So, in order to give you more specific recommendations...we may need you to be more specific about the type of shooting that you want to do, your expectations of quality and a ballpark budget.

Hey another HD rider! Welcome!! Whatcha riding? I've got a '10 Ultra that I just love.

back onto topic, a lot of folks look at the 50mm f1.8 for about $110. It is a prime that takes really good pictures, especially for the cheap price. You never said how much you were willing to spend. there are an endless number of lenses to look at. It'll make ya dizzy. The 18-55 is a good starter lens but there are so many other lenses out there. I started out with the T3i and really enjoyed capturing pictures with it. I just recently upgraded to a 6D full frame. I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to replace the 18-55. I would look at supplementing it with a great zoom like a 55-250 and maybe a prime.

all that being said I am in love with my 24-105L.

Last edited:
Hey another HD rider! Welcome!! Whatcha riding? I've got a '10 Ultra that I just love.

back onto topic, a lot of folks look at the 50mm f1.8 for about $110. It is a prime that takes really good pictures, especially for the cheap price. You never said how much you were willing to spend. there are an endless number of lenses to look at. It'll make ya dizzy. The 18-55 is a good starter lens but there are so many other lenses out there. I started out with the T3i and really enjoyed capturing pictures with it. I just recently upgraded to a 6D full frame. I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to replace the 18-55. I would look at supplementing it with a great zoom like a 55-250 and maybe a prime.

all that being said I am in love with my 24-105L.

Riding a 12 Road King loaded with chrome. Pics coming soon..lol

I consider my kit lens to be an OK mid range lens. I just want something better. I do plan on getting a zoom and a killer macro lens. I dont like limitations and I think a better "midrange lens" would make me really happy. You are correct about all these lenses making me dizzy. I really dont know where to start. Basically, I want three of the best lenses. Macro, mid and zoom.
Sorry I am not up to date with the proper photography terms. I have much reading to do.

THANKS

The best kit lens replacement for Canon cropped body, I say it is the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 lens which is a standard zoom lens.

The 18-55 kit lens was the second Canon lens I got (my first was the 50mm 1.8).
I "replaced" it with a 28mm 2.8 and a 10-22mm (that is, once I had both those lenses, I never felt any need to put the kit lens on my camera). Slightly unusual, I guess ...

The best kit lens replacement for Canon cropped body, I say it is the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 lens which is a standard zoom lens.

I used the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM for a wedding and it is a really nice lens but I find that it gets 'wonky' on the edges. Example is that wedding was shot at the beach and in almost all of my photos from 17-30mm the edges of the frame would bend upward. I corrected it in post but for a $1000 lens I would not expect that much distortion. The 24-105 f/4L is a really nice lens and produces pretty sharp shots although on the crop body your range is more like 38-168 and may not be about to get wide enough.

If youre looking for something with more range (near and far) that produces sharper images, the 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a pretty decent piece for the price. Its going for about $700 and is wider and longer than your 18-55mm. Plus, the USM is fast and quiet. But, it has a variable max aperture. The 17-55mm f/2.8 is a nice piece of glass, but it doesnt give you any more reach than you already have. The aforementioned 18-135mm is a nice deal for the money that covers a nice long range. Its really up to you so far as to what you want in your lens and how much you want to spend. The 15-85mm is wider, will give more reach and is sharper than your 18-55mm and will probably satisfy you for a while until you decide which tele and macro you want to get without breaking the bank. I would suggest getting the 50mm/1.8 though. Its a great lens for the price and makes a world of difference when shooting indoors in low light situations.

A 28-135 is a really good lens for the money! im looking for a good enough priced one for my brother right now! if you chek craigslist you can find one on there for cheap! that lens has a macro at 0.5/1.6ft which is pretty good, 1:3.5-5.8 Canon Ultrasonic 28-135mm lens, w/ image stabilizer here is a pretty good priced one i think its brand new too!

I think the nifty fifty is a requirement for all photographers. Its the 50mm 1.8 prime for around $100. Its a fantastic lens and you can't beat the price. It is my go to lens for portraits, some people prefer the 85-100mm range for portrait work, but I really like 50mm.

I have been very happy for many years with the Sigma 18-250 mm on my 7D. I upgraded to their 18-250 mm macro lens which is even better.

I think the nifty fifty is a requirement for all photographers. Its the 50mm 1.8 prime for around $100. Its a fantastic lens and you can't beat the price. It is my go to lens for portraits, some people prefer the 85-100mm range for portrait work, but I really like 50mm.

Just don't drop it or bump against anything. They come apart at the drop of a hat. You get what you pay for

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back