Best lens for a beginner?

lulutrixabelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon 400D which i've had about 3 years, and i've only recently got into using it properly! I want to invest in a new lens which makes the background really blurred, which is also reasonably priced. I post outfit photos on my blog of myself and others, but the AV mode on my camera isn't as effective as i'd like.

So could anyone recommend the best lens for me around the £100 mark or cheaper, I have no idea how much lenses cost but it will be coming out of my student loan so i'd like it to be as little as possible but a good one, not any old cheap one... basically I just want one that makes the subject really clear and focused and the background reeeally blurry!

Thank you!
Lucy :)

At that budget, you are looking at the 50mm 1.8, which is not any old cheap one, but instead the classic old cheap one. :)
It will make the background blurry, but due to it's design (only 5 straight aperture blades), the blur will not be super smooth. It's construction quality also leaves something to be desired. But, it is the only sharp, fast lens in that price bracket.

If you can spend maybe 4-500 dollars, which I think is like 300 pounds, then you have a lot of options open to you that will offer sharpness as well as high quality background blur. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 and Canon 85mm 1.8 are both nice lenses with nice bokeh.

I would recommend you to earn a little bigger budget and go for Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Very good lense for reasonable money.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back