Best lens for action?

For something up close and shooting something as big as a bike and where you will want some of the surrounding area to be in the pic I would at least have along with me a 50mm f1.8.

LWW

Another question I forgot to ask... what lens(es) do you have now?

c_mac said:
... a 1.4 TC. but i was reading and it says its not recommended for lenses wider than 50 mm. but in all reality i would only need the TC when i wanted to zoom, so would it be ok? i am just trying to get the most bang for the buck possible.

TC.... is that a tele-converter? I've never been a fan of these in the past. I never saw one that preserved the quality of the lens, but MOSTLY the loss of light was too great... usually a full stop or more. Is this still the case with modern versions?

Pete

No Modern Technology can overcome the raw physics that drive why Teleconverters have to reduce available light.

Personally, I think a stop is a small price to pay for getting a full 1.4x magnification. Saves a fortune in lenses and you can't get super-long lenses in f/2.8 more often than not anyway.

Christie Photo said:
Another question I forgot to ask... what lens(es) do you have now? Pete
Right now just the kit 18-55 and 16mm fisheye. I hope to get a 50mm f/1.8 real soon seeing as how cheap they are, its just that none of the local shops stock them. but for now only the kit and a fisheye.

so i don't exactly have great lens...but am hoping to soon:wink: i know the lens doesn't make the picture, but in some cases i suppose it helps.

ya its a canon lens but the last time i tried anything like what i am wanting to do it just seemed too slow....i guess

The kits lens (18-55) is not a great lens...but it's not as bad as everyone on the internet seems to say. Ya, it's slow...but in good light when you can stop down...it's pretty darn good.

Big Mike said:
The kits lens (18-55) is not a great lens...but it's not as bad as everyone on the internet seems to say. Ya, it's slow...but in good light when you can stop down...it's pretty darn good.
oh i agree. its not as bad as some make it out to be. and i could use the kit lens but truthfully i just don't know what a 70-200 would do. there are times when i think the zoom would be nice, but i am slowly thinking the 24-70 would be my better bet.

now then, the sigma lens does not have the hsm. is that going to be a problem. but with its 400$ price tag it seems like it would be a great lens.

well, after everyones help, especially Christie Photo, I got out and used the kit lens and i definitely need a shorter lens. i think the 24-70 is going to be great! and i could have used the extra stop or so today, any way here is a link to the pics that i feel were the better... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60758

again a big thanks to everyone for your help.

Most reactions

Back