Best lens for around $400?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the best lens for around $400? I know I have to be more specific, but I want to know in terms of quality which lens will give better IQ. It can be anything from wide, to medium, to telephoto. It can also be a prime. I do a lot of general photography, from landscapes to portraits. I've been eyeing the Tokina 100mm Macro for a good portrait lens, but I want to know what you guys suggest.

EDIT: Nikon mount.

Gotta plug my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Paid around 350 USD for it and its optics are often compared to those of the venerable Nikkor lens with similar specs.

I've been eyeing that lens too. Maybe I could save up a bit and sell my 18-70. So the optics are exceptional?

What is the best lens for around $400? I know I have to be more specific, but I want to know in terms of quality which lens will give better IQ. It can be anything from wide, to medium, to telephoto. It can also be a prime. I do a lot of general photography, from landscapes to portraits. I've been eyeing the Tokina 100mm Macro for a good portrait lens, but I want to know what you guys suggest.

EDIT: Nikon mount.

Although a macro lens would be great to have. On your D70 it will be like a 150. Thats kinda long for a portrait lens. Will flatten things and that may not be wanted depending on the body type of the person. But if you are anywhere interested in macro work. I think it would be a good thing to have.

I've been eyeing that lens too. Maybe I could save up a bit and sell my 18-70. So the optics are exceptional?
I don't have much to compare it to other than my kit lens and 50mm prime. I'll see if I can find some decent examples to post on here from the 17-50. The big aperture definitely helps to freeze motion and in low light (though the f/1.8 of the nifty-fifty, let alone the f/1.4 of my older manual 50mm have spoiled me rotten - nothing ISO 1600 can't fix, albeit with extra noise). What I do notice is the detail when zooming in on a shot (cropping) is better on the 17-50 than on my kit 18-55. Now, what would be really sweet would be VR (VC) on the 17-50 :).

+1 for the tamron, except my vote goes to the 28-75mm f/2.8, because I have that and not the 17-50. Both are great.
The 28-75 is great for doing more portrait shooting than landscapes, close quarters shots and other wide-angle shooting. It's also not a DX lens (thought it is Di - digitally optimized) so it can be used on full frame sensors without vignetting (or so the reviews say), while the 17-50 will vignette at least at the extremes.

Eh, I don't plan on getting a full frame anytime soon. My next body will probably be a D200, maybe a D300. But that's way in the future. I think the 17-50 appeals to me more because of its ability to go wide. I already have my 50mm 1.8 as a portrait lens, and the 28-75mm isn't wide enough for wide shots and isn't long enough for tele shots. I think the 17-50 would serve me better, considering I love the outdoors more than I do anything. Any other contestants?

I'm asking because I'm considering getting another lens for Christmas, and my budget is $400 max. My biggest concern is quality of the glass and image quality, although the F2.8 is a real advantage.

Is the sigma 18-50 any good?

I have the Tamron 28-75 on my D300 and absolutely love it. As a matter of fact i chose it over the sigma 18-50.

But if you want that extra bit of wideness get the sigma. I hear its sharper too.

Well, my main two priorities are optical quality and sharpness. The Sigma and the Tamron are the same price, whichever one produces better images I'll take.

The 18-50 2.8 is a great little piece of glass. Optics are exceptional.

You could also consider the sigma 10-20, it's around 450 but another great option.

i'd go with tamron mainly because sigma seems to have hit-or-miss quality control. sigma seems to be built more solidly but tamron feels a little better than kit lens.

i'd go with tamron mainly because sigma seems to have hit-or-miss quality control. sigma seems to be built more solidly but tamron feels a little better than kit lens.

I don't really buy into the statement about Sigma. At least not these days. I have bought Sigma lenses (new) and never had a problem. I think they got a bad rap at one time, but I would not hesitiate to get a Sigma if that is the way you are leaning. Besides, if you buy it new and its bad.....well, its on them to fix it right for free. They also have a long warranty....I believe it is 3 years.

Derrick

Most reactions

Back