Best lens for Canon/Shallow depth of field

lissthis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out which lens would be best for portraits with shallow depth of field. My camera is a Canon Rebel XSi EOS. I have included photos that will help give an idea of what I'm looking for. The photo with a girl in it was taken with a 200mm lens, which isn't realistic for my first accessory lens. I am interested in taking outdoor, full body/waist up portraits, so I can stand at whatever distance is appropriate for the lens.
I have done a bit of research and with my price range (less than $500) I have found that Sigma or Canon 50mm F/1.4, Sigma 30mm F/1.4, and Canon EF 85mm F/1.8. Any suggestions on the lens I have mentioned or suggestions for other lenses?

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 85mm f/1.8 would fit your bill if you're looking for outdoor-use shallow depth of field. It will be a tough lens to use indoors because of the long focal length with a crop frame body FoV.

This is an example of the DOF you can get with an 85mm. Shot at f/2.5 on a Sigma 85mm f/1.4

iTOMDgjbyRq4V.jpg

You can also get a shallow depth of field to closer objects with a wider lens. I shot this with a Canon 35mm f/1.4L @ f/1.4 (similar to a 30mm f/1.4)

iliETS2qNNM40.jpg

And finally a shot with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 probably around f/2.2

ibtG2qVwLjBpAA.jpg

Of course, the field of view on your camera will be slightly smaller due to having a cropped sensor, but this will give you an idea to how significant the DoF difference is. It also has a lot to do with distance from camera to subject, distance from subject to background, and aperture.

For the wide lens that you used, we're you close to the subject?

Just a point to add - once you start to go below around 50mm in focal length you start to leave telephoto lenses and enter the wide angle lenses. Now once you are in this area of focal lengths the perspective starts to get distorted (this will vary lens to lens). The result is that objects closer to the lens end up enlarged over those further away - for people this can mean big feet, hands, noses etc... It's a reason why lenses like 35mm or 30mm are unpopular for general portrait work and 50mm or longer are more preferred.

Outside its generally not a problem, you can oft take a few steps back to frame the shot. Indoors it can be more tricky if you're using a crop sensor camera since you might not always be able to shift back even with a 50mm lens. It's a reason why 35mm (fullframe) or even larger formats are popular for indoor and studio work.

Use a 400mm 2.8 at it's minimum focus distance and it does wonders to any background....... yeah, I know it's beyond the budget you set, but hey, it's still fun to use it for portrait type shots.

402311089.jpg

If you want a great portrait lens then I suggest either the Canon 85mm f/1.2 or the 135mm f/2. Both are expensive, but of VERY high quality. Sharp as a tack.

You should also look at the 85mm f/1.8. It's only about $400 I believe, and it's just as sharp only not as wide as the f/1.2. I love the feel of the lens as well as the creamy bokeh and DoF.

watch this vid

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back