Best Lens for outdoor motocross daylight

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a big MemDay motocross event - 3 days... I'd like to get a little better lens than I currently have... the standard Canon 70-300 cheapie... I can rent either,

a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS for $64.00 for 7 days ... or

a Sigma 120-300 f/2.,8 APO HSM - $105 for 7 days...

I'm using a Canon 450D. I'd be using a Monopod and an 8gig card. I have Track access, so I can get pretty close if needed... but the telephoto is needed also..

Any ideas, or better suggestions?

thanks,

How close or far away from the action will you be? That would be one of the major deciding factors.

If you are talking a bit of distance then I would suggest either the 300 f2.8 or 400 f2.8. More expensive to rent for sure and you don't need f2.8 in that bright of daylight, but I own both lenses and they are sharp enough to shave with.

If you are pretty close to the action then my choice would be the 70-200. Again a very sharp lens.

If you have track access the 70-200 will be fine. If it will be going into the nite under lights then get the 2.8 if it is all daytime you can get away with the 4. The difference may allow you to rent a prime to use against the track.

One more thing...you might want to try hand held, motoX has alot of highspeed ups and downs that is sometimes a pain to follow with a mounted camera, tripod or mono.

If you have track access the 70-200 will be fine. If it will be going into the nite under lights then get the 2.8 if it is all daytime you can get away with the 4. The difference may allow you to rent a prime to use against the track.

One more thing...you might want to try hand held, motoX has alot of highspeed ups and downs that is sometimes a pain to follow with a mounted camera, tripod or mono.

I was thinking of panning, but you're right... My rig will be close-by, so I can trade off frequently... There will be areas where I can be totally safe, and yet only about 10' from a turn.. Shouldn't go into dusk or dark.. except perhaps the Trophy Presentatons.. :confused:

Appreciate the feedback....

Most reactions

Back