Best lens hood for 18-55 kit lens

TedBundy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I was looking to get a lens hood for my 18-55 lens and was wondering was in need of some suggestions it is a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

I went with the $2.00 hood off Ebay, it's basically a cheap copy of the original, and I can get ten of them for what one "real" one cost.

I like the collapsible, rubber, wide-angle ones, any make.

Im taking that it doesnt matter to much whether its canon brand or not?
No, it doesn't really matter.

The thing to be aware of, is that you get a hood that is the right size so that it fits onto the lens, but also so that it doesn't block the lens when you zoom out to 18mm. A lens hood that is too deep, will start to show up in the corners of your photos.

Also, I believe that this lens has a rotating front element, which means that you can't use a 'petal' style lens hood. Those types of lens hoods are often used on lenses that don't rotate when focusing, so the can be a little bit deeper on the top & bottom, than on the sides.
So lens hoods that are made for your lens, will be round.

The only thing you really need to watch for with hoods is that you don't end up with vignetting if the hood is encroaching into the field of view. Factory hoods are designed to work at all focal lengths for that specific lens and often have the "tulip" design where the notch the corners so that the lens can't see those corners when it's shooting wide.

There's tons of hoods on eBay. The best design would be the bayonet type that slots in around the lens filter ring, leaving it unobstructed to throw in a filter if you want. Even better: some of the bayonet ones can be reversed to store the lens with the hood on. The one issue is that usually the only ones making that type of hood are the OEMs, so you'd need to get the real Canon hood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back