Best Lens?

Dave NY

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to get an additional lens for my Canon EOS 80D. I want a telephoto to get wildlife pics at a distance. I am leaning toward Tamron or Sigma. Canon isn't in the list just because of price unless there is a compelling reason to go with Canon.

In Sigma there is the Contemporary 150-600 or the Sports lens, with a significant price difference 899.00 vs 1399.00

Tamron Contemporary 150-600 I can get for 899.00.

Which do you think is a better value Lens and why?

The only way you can know which, if any, of the type of lenses you mention meet your image quality standards is to borrow or rent each one and compare. Since you are asking for personal opinions, I will say that I wouldn't waste my money on any one of them. I prefer telephoto or long prime lenses for 200mm and over.

I don't think there is a need to try before you but as it's often impracticle to do so. I've never tried a lens in my life before I bought it bar one and that wasn't for comparison purposes. It was second hand and was simply to ensure or worked properly. If you have the option handy then yeah, try them out but it's not a pre-ordained requisite.

What I do do if I'm intending spending good money however is research, research, research and also, as you have done here, ask for advice.

I have the Sigma 150-600C and spent hours looking at Youtube videos as well as reading written reviews, looking at photograph examples and comparisons with other similar spec/length lenses.

I decided that based on my needs and price the Sigma 150-600C was the one for me. The IQ is fantastic and the difference between that and the Sport is negligible from what I've seen/read and obviously it's lighter and a damn sight cheaper than the Sport. I've never used a Tamron but again from my research I think the Sigma was slightly ahead of it in some areas. Tamron owners may disagree and in fairness there's not a lot between the comparible models if I recollect correctly.

I'm extremely happy with the 150-600C and if you decide on that one, from my experience of it, you'll not be disappointed.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I just knew my comment would bring out someone pretending to be qualified to say what the OP's IQ standards ought to be!

I just knew my comment would bring out someone pretending to be qualified to say what the OP's IQ standards ought to be!
Awe, shut-up for heaven's sake with your patronising and demeaning retorts.

If your reason to post is to get a reaction then you succeeded. Well done. Just because your opinion differs from mine doesn't make you right.

I tried to help the OP with my experience of one of the lenses he is looking at not provoke an argument. I'm sure he'll manage to make up his own mind.

Don't bother replying I won't see it, you're out of my world.

Let's play nice, people.

A point.

One issue i have had for many a year is the ability to fork over anything higher than $500 US for ANYTHING, much less a lens.

You may want to consider looking at used.
All the usual suspects of stores are out there and deals can be had.

If your willing to live with some bump-s and bruises, you can save ALOT on money and go quite high quality.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I had looked at You Tube for reviews but wanted to confirm with you folks before I decide.

I have a Sigma 150-500 that I've had for nearly 10 years, (it was £500 new). I'm fairly sure it's not as good as the latest models but used copies are regularly available for much less than the new boys & it might be adequate for you - you don't actually say what you're going to shoot...
I still like my 'Bigmos' but due to it's weight I will only take it when I know I'll need the reach (airshows & motorsports).

I got the Sigma, Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.

I got the Sigma, Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.
Nice one. I'm positive you'll love it. Enjoy and I look forward to seeing your results and hearing your thoughts.

Most reactions

Back