Not open for further replies.

mayhem7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-editing.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm buying a Nikon D7000 this week, but I really can't decide which lens(s) I should choose. I have tried looking at this site: Nikon's 10 Best Lenses, but it seems like a jungle to me.
Me first idea was the 18-200 lens, but it has not gotten very good reviews together with the D7000. Even though D7000 is a DX, the sensor has become much better, so a lot of people actually recommend Full frame lenses for it.
The 18-200 v2 is newer, but I have not been able to find reviews for that & D7000 yet.

I mostly take landscape pictures, so I don't need that much zoom anyway, but I would of cause like some.

Any good suggestions?

The best optics are usually found in prime lenses, those without zooms. Might be an option for ya.

If you are looking for landscapes, wide lenses are the way to go.

You didn't mention budget. As your question is the best, then there are 3 zoom lenses that make up Nikon's holy trinity:
14-24mm f/2.8
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 VRII

Best zooms out there.

For prime lenses you are probably looking at things like the 24mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4

For landscapes, again, wider is better.

To save some coin, look at the Sigma 10-20mm for Nikon

Well, seriously, Ken mentions the 28-80 G series and the 28-200 G series lenses...he is not kidding...both of those small,light,inexpensive, aspherical element designs are surprisingly sharp lenses, light in weight, and very low cost. Both of those lenses are full-frame capable lenses. The 28-200 G is actually a surprisingly sharp, capable performer: I own one. It's a much better lens than you might imagine. It does lack the wide-angle zone from 18mm to 27mm, which the 18-200 VR lens has...but still...The 28-80mm AF-D Nikkor, plastic lens that it is, is surprisingly sharp at f/8.

What many people are either ignorant of or unwilling to admit is that at f/8 to f/11, almost ANY modern Nikon zoom lens is pretty close to as good as it can be made to perform. The differences are in build quality, maximum aperture, and ruggedness,and in wide-aperture performance capability.

Most any modern Nikon zoom lens when shot at f/9.5 or thereabouts is quite,quite good optically. If you want to double the quality of your lens in landscape photography, use a tripod and good shutter release and good focusing technique.

An 18-200mm is never going to be a 'best' lens. In order to design a lens with that much of a range, while keeping the size & cost down...it has to compromise on the image quality.

The above posts lists the 'best' lenses...but they will cost more than your camera.

For landscapes, I like the Nikon 10-24mm lens, as well as the 16-85mm VR lens.

Thank you all for very useful info! I appreciate it. I know the holy trinity would be the best choice, but that's both a bid above my budget, and too many lenses to carry around. I would like to have just one, or if really necessary two, lenses maximum.
The 16-85mm VR lens looks just like one I have been looking for. While looking at it, I stumbled upon the 16-35mm as well, which has this Nano Crystal Coat, that the 16-85 doesn't.

Does any of you know how much of a difference this Nano crystal coating actually makes?

If you are near a larger camera store and they have a fair selection of rental lenses this is the best way I know to find the lens that's right for you. Try before you buy...it's usually inexpensive too. I own only 2 lenses; a 50mm f1.8 NikonG and the 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 Nikon. Both are FX lenses and both are razor sharp, especially the 50G. For special projects I rent. For glass that is in the $2-3,000 dollar range it just makes sense...unless you use it everyday and it can pay for itself over a reasonable amount of time.

What many people are either ignorant of or unwilling to admit is that at f/8 to f/11, almost ANY modern Nikon zoom lens is pretty close to as good as it can be made to perform. The differences are in build quality, maximum aperture, and ruggedness,and in wide-aperture performance capability.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mayhem7,
I saw your question and wondered what len(s) you decided on and how they worked out for you?

Mayhem7 hasn't logged into the forums since 8/13/2011 (see Mayhem7's profile).

I doubt you will get a reply to your query.

This thread has like 11,000 views... :lol:

I'm going to ask the big mods to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back