Best Lenses to get with a $3000 budget?

My solution was the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8OS. Or if you can pick up a 70-200 f/2.8L IS older version for about the same as the Sigma-that.
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8VC. The reviews and tests on that one sealed the deal for me and it'll come home to my house this winter/spring.

You'll need the 70-200mm to be f/2.8 and you'll _really_ want IS unless you plan to shoot from a tripod. There an original edition of the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS which is nothing to sneeze at. The MTF curves on the II show improvement -- especially in the corners and edges.

For a lot of events you will really want a good flash (preferably two, but then you'd need an assistant to handle the 2nd flash.)

The 24-70mm f/2.8 will give you great low-light capability and when you're shooting action, IS doesn't help (it helps you shoot at lower shutter speeds without noticing CAMERA movement, but it does nothing to help with SUBJECT movement when the shutter speed is too slow.)

If you want to defer the purchase of the 24-70, you'll have no problem with your 18-135 for the near-subjects if you have flash and can use it. For distant subjects you'll have an f/2.8 lens.

I have done events where I cannot use flash by using the 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS (original, the II didn't exist when I bought my lens.) I have an EF 135mm f2L which is my favorite event lens for concerts.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back