Best method to convert film to digital (and

OK, here's a question that's probably hard to answer...how do I figure out which film I want and need? I understand film speed, and I'm going to experiment with different speeds and lighting environments...but are any specific brands better or worse then others? I've seen some color pictures a while back with SUPER vibrant colors that was supposedly just how the film was. Do I just try everything and see which I like, or is there at least a "tried and true" to get me started?

For black and white, most people will tell you to start with Tri-X. It's got good tones and grain and is very tolerant of a certain amount of over/underexposure. These things make it a good starter film so you can get used to how film reacts to different conditions and as you gain more skills predicting, you can move on to more sensitive film.

As for color, I think there's a wider range of opinions on this. I haven't been that impressed with Fuji Superia but I know others quite love it. Some color films that are known to be quite vibrant are Kodak Portra or Ektar. I just shot about 7 rolls of Kodak Portra 160 and love the colors. I've also shot some Ektar and when it's good, it's really good, but it can also go pretty wrong, and it's a very finicky film so it doesn't take much to go wrong. I think you'll have to do a bit more experimenting on your own with color than with b&w to decide what you like.

Here's an interesting blog post about Ektar vs Portra: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/11/18/spending-two-weeks-with-kodak-ektar-and-portra/ Apparently, Portra is a good film for scanning. I hadn't heard that before I went poking around for this.

But yeah, you're going to have to a lot of shooting to figure out what films suit your style the best.

I usually use in general 100 ISO outdoors and 400 speed indoors/low light. I agree the vibrant color might have been slide film. I use basic Kodak (is it called UltraMax now?? I can't think what's on the box!).

I've been doing B&W lately and using either Kodak TMAX or one of the Ilford films, I've done well with those. I hadn't thought about the films that are C41 color process that were mentioned; I rarely use those and instead use like traditional B&W films because I want the option of being able to do my own darkroom prints.

I see that Freestyle has rebates on Tri-X, that could be a good option. FPP has Portra and Ektar in 5 packs, and they offer some sampler packs although those might include some expired films that could be experimental in how they turn out.
(They also have many quirky expired films... Kodacolor 'baked' might not be a good starter film, the packaging looks like something out of the 1980s! definitely experimental for those who want weird funky stuff.)

I'd probably stick to reliable brands like Kodak or Fuji or Ilford to start with.

Edit - Happened to think of Samy's Camera, I've bought from them before too.

Last edited:
I mostly use Ilford HP5 (iso400) it's a very versatile film and can be pushed and pulled with very good results, i have 1 M4 with iso400 and another M4 with iso100, i have just bought some Agfa APX 100 to try but i buy HP5 by the 100 feet to bulk load i would love to bulk load TriX but it is more than twice the price for 100 feet

OK, here's a question that's probably hard to answer...how do I figure out which film I want and need? I understand film speed, and I'm going to experiment with different speeds and lighting environments...but are any specific brands better or worse then others? I've seen some color pictures a while back with SUPER vibrant colors that was supposedly just how the film was. Do I just try everything and see which I like, or is there at least a "tried and true" to get me started?

For black and white, most people will tell you to start with Tri-X. It's got good tones and grain and is very tolerant of a certain amount of over/underexposure. These things make it a good starter film so you can get used to how film reacts to different conditions and as you gain more skills predicting, you can move on to more sensitive film.

As for color, I think there's a wider range of opinions on this. I haven't been that impressed with Fuji Superia but I know others quite love it. Some color films that are known to be quite vibrant are Kodak Portra or Ektar. I just shot about 7 rolls of Kodak Portra 160 and love the colors. I've also shot some Ektar and when it's good, it's really good, but it can also go pretty wrong, and it's a very finicky film so it doesn't take much to go wrong. I think you'll have to do a bit more experimenting on your own with color than with b&w to decide what you like.

Here's an interesting blog post about Ektar vs Portra: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/11/18/spending-two-weeks-with-kodak-ektar-and-portra/ Apparently, Portra is a good film for scanning. I hadn't heard that before I went poking around for this.

But yeah, you're going to have to a lot of shooting to figure out what films suit your style the best.

I don't shoot much colour but was given 5 rolls of Superia 200 and thought it was quite good

Scan-130804-0003-XL.jpg

Scan-130620-0002-XL.jpg

I'm getting into film and would like to have some pics made digital to share online and such. I'm just wondering what the viable methods are for getting this done. As I understand, most cheap scanners don't produce high quality scans, and quality film scanners cost a ton of money. I'm not convinced my digital camera (Canon S3 IS) would be suitable, either. I'm taking these with an Olympus XA2, so it ain't exactly an SLR...but I would like to squeeze as much quality as possible out of the developing/printing process.

How about sending the negatives out to have them scanned professionally? What's the average cost to have this done? Will I even notice a difference between all this?

And I guess while we're on the topic of sending negatives out, how much difference will there be between prints done at say the local drug store, versus the proper camera shop a few towns over (they have a great reputation)? I'll be doing a lot of black and white, and it seems no one locally can develop or print B&W film...so I'd have to send that out anyways. What do I look for when picking a shop to send my pictures to?

Am I crazy for considering developing the B&W stuff my self? I'd still have to have them printed somewhere....

Thanks for helping out a newb.

A good film scanner like the Nikon Cool Scan 9000 I have will set you back about $1200 on E-Bay. Other nice Nikon scanners are around $200-$600.
Any Nikon scanner is a great thing to have. I believe they are the best on the after/market.

Other than that you could go to a pro-lab. I work at one. We charge $15 to scan a roll of film (36exp 35mm or 120). You get a CD with J-Peg files and 4x6 index card. The files are 8x12 at around 256dpi. or 12-15MB. I've printed out up to 20x30s (Epson 9000) from these scans and they look very nice.

We (our lab) charges $10 each frame for a 80MB Tiff if needed for Photoshop work or enlargements (fine-art) from 20x30 to 40x60.

Most reactions

Back