Best mode for portraits

I get that, and I understand it, but you know just as well as I do that there are people who have an attitude about manual. It doesn't really matter. Just a temporary moment of snarkyness on my part.

blog.rephixfartlab.com

Take a Look on my photography blog Rephix High End Photography at blog.rephixfartlab.com New Photoshoot, Product Review and Behind the scene every week Subscribe to the Mailing list for new post and please Share
Stop spamming. Nobody cares about your blog!

All of my life, I've shot manual... until just recently.

In the studio, the lighting is "nailed down" (unchanging) and shooting in ANY auto mode makes no sense.

The way I've worked outdoors is very consistent too... at least stable enough to take a reading off a grey card for each situation.

This past month, I found a location that provides open sky for a light source without need for any subtractive techniques to achieve directional lighting. All I have to do is simply wait for the sun to go below the treeline off to the right and behind me. The location affords me just about 20 minutes or so to work, so I go there with a plan and get a LOT done in that amount of time. HOWEVER, as the sun continues to sink, the quality of light remains good, but the amount of light gradually diminishes rather quickly.

It dawned on me that the camera has a pretty sophisticated metering system, so I set the ISO, put the camera on AV and set the aperture. I gotta tell ya, this was a very freeing experience, allowing me to concentrate on directing and talking with my clients rather than tending to the rapidly changing lighting.

I'm still a bit wary of this. I've never wanted the camera doing anything that I didn't "tell" it to do. But when I sat down at the computer, I was very pleased with the results.

Maybe I'll try auto focus next.

-Pete

Well you first get there early. Then you determine the lighting and while in manual mode you set the shutter speed and aperture according to your analysis of the available lighting. Then you use that setting for the entire shoot. Note that you'll be in manual mode the entire time.

You just have to have a pretty fast shutter speed with a nice exposure...and you are ready to go.
Because the light doesn't change when they hit the ball, so as long as your speed is pretty fast and still get a a nice exposure while avoiding any blur....you could do the whole game with the same settings.

Depend on the time of the game. If the game takes place around dusk when the sun set really fast and the lights come on, you simply won't have the time.

Why, i shoot sport in manual and it is easy to adjust as the light changes

Most reactions

Back