Best moon shot.

Awesome moon shots..i have not really been successful with the moon but i will keep tryingView attachment 172165
It's very nice. The only way i know how to photograph the moon is to set the camera to manual mode, shutterspeed should be about 1/250 and the aperture about F11, I set my white balance to white fluorescent light, and ISO 100.
I also use a tripod and set the camera to count for 10 seconds before taking the shot and that reduces camera shake.
I hope maybe that will help you. not sure if it's the proper way but it works for me.

Thanks.

Awesome moon shots..i have not really been successful with the moon but i will keep tryingView attachment 172165
It's very nice. The only way i know how to photograph the moon is to set the camera to manual mode, shutterspeed should be about 1/250 and the aperture about F11, I set my white balance to white fluorescent light, and ISO 100.
I also use a tripod and set the camera to count for 10 seconds before taking the shot and that reduces camera shake.
I hope maybe that will help you. not sure if it's the proper way but it works for me.

Thanks.
thank you.. i am going to try both your way and Kirks way.. i cannot wait to give it some practice.. there will be no moon tonight or tomorrow or next day after..snow..clouds and rain ...in forcast... but i will be watching for that moon..

thank you...next time we have a moon i will have fun trying these settings... so far this is what i have accomplished.. the other one was just a joke.. lol... but this one is nothing to brag about either.. i am sure your tips will help alot.. thanks so much..View attachment 172176[/QUOTE]

The first time I used the Luni 11 rule I nailed it pretty much. It's become a standard for a reason, it works! You should read up on it though to get to know all the details about it. Easy pz!
Looney 11 and Sunny 16 Rules « NEW CAMERA <<< Is it OK to post this???

Last edited:
thank you...next time we have a moon i will have fun trying these settings... so far this is what i have accomplished.. the other one was just a joke.. lol... but this one is nothing to brag about either.. i am sure your tips will help alot.. thanks so much..View attachment 172176

The first time I used the Luni 11 rule I nailed it pretty much. It's become a standard for a reason, it works! You should read up on it though to get to know all the details about it. Easy pz!
Looney 11 and Sunny 16 Rules « NEW CAMERA <<< Is it OK to post this???[/QUOTE]
oh this is so awesome.. i copied and pasted to my notes..thanks.

Here is a shot of the Solar eclipse in 2016. It's the diamond ring.

Solar Eclipse Photo - Good 1.JPG

First attempt hand held with my Nikon 200-500mm. It was a spur of the moment before bed, pop out onto the front porch snap it and back inside. Hope to be able to try again later with the tripod and remote release for better quality.

moon1544.jpg

33898086346_0b60034437_b.jpg

Canon 60Da through TeleVue NP101is APO refractor using a TeleVue 2x PowerMate (effective focal ratio f/11) at ISO 100 & 1/100th sec.

The (long) story behind this (which I'll shorten here) is that I was doing some testing prior to the August 2017 total solar eclipse of the Sun in the US. I needed to use the 2x PowerMate. Any 2x tele-converter has a strong risk of creating reflections in blown out exposures. The eclipse requires a huge dynamic range (getting the out-extents of the solar corona will heavily over-expose the inner parts). So I needed to test the reflections.

The best way to test these reflections... is to just shoot the crescent moon ... but heavily over-expose the moon and put it off to one side of the frame (the reflection should show on the opposite side). While doing the testing ... I decided I may as well center the moon and take a proper exposure.

This is that shot.

(And yes... the tele-converter did create reflections during the brightest exposures.)

Here is one of the eclipse photos (not stacked) during totality (technically this is the moon):

36647865941_c099466a21_k_d.jpg

Clear Skies!
Tim

Just one? Here's 3, just for fun :)
With Jupiter and Venus, Pentax K3+DA55-300

K3+DA*300

...and the lunar eclipse back in January, Pentax KP+DA*300+DA1.4x TC

Most reactions

Back