Best Nikon D5100 vertical/battery grip?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What are the best vertical/battery grip for the D5100, best fit and looks good?Price should be no more than 40 USD?

The most popular grip is the Neewer/Meike brand. Other brands seem to be rebranded Meike grips. Do note that Nikon does not have an official grip for the D5100/D3100/D3200

Generic - Meike/Neewer brand - Amazon.com: Pro Battery Grip for Nikon D5100 EN-EL14 DSLR Camera: Electronics

Another generic/Meike - Amazon.com: BestDealUSA Multi-Power DSLR Vertical Battery Grip For Nikon D5100 DSLR Cameras: Electronics

Polaroid brand - Amazon.com: Pro Battery Grip for Nikon D5100 EN-EL14 DSLR Camera: Electronics
Zeikos brand - Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-NBG5000 Battery Grip for Nikon D5000 (Black): Electronics

There is another grip with remote capabilities although more expensive. I got this sine the D3100 did not have a remote sensor. This one is 5mm thinner though but does not have a rubber grip.

Generic - Amazon.com: Battery Grip for Nikon D5100 D3100 with Semi-decoding: Electronics

Photive brand - Amazon.com: Photive Professional Battery Grip for Nikon D5100, D3100 Digital SLR: Electronics Note this does not include the remote. The generic (which I bought) included a remote

Bower - Amazon.com: Bower XBGN5100 Digital Power Battery Grip for Nikon D3100/D5100 for Slr Camera: Electronics Obviously above your budget.

Since you have a D5100 go for the Neewer/Meike brand. This brand also has a rubberized grip. The other type does not. You can also get a remote unit cheap. Amazon.com: IR Wireless Remote Control for Nikon D5000/D5100 ML-L3: Electronics or Amazon.com: Photive ML-L3 Wireless Shutter Release Remote For Nikon D3200, D5100, D5000, D7000, D80, D90, p7000, P7100, Nikon J1, V1 Digital SLRS(Replaces Nikon ML-L3): Electronics. The unit from BestDeal USA sells the cheapest and has only 50 cents for delivery. This is where I got my batteries. BTW, generic batteries will work too. Also, go to Youtube for video revies and how to make generic batteries work.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish I could find some grips that went along the contours better.

does anyone have any pictures they would be willing to post of how it fits on the camera?

Here's the one I just got today. It's pretty flush and has a pretty good feel to it.

$DSC02331a.jpg$DSC02332a.jpg

Power Vertical Battery Holder Grip for Nikon D5100 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
nice bulky grip. I love it. I want it to be as big as possible, with a PRO look and quality plastic.

Oh that's clever! I read "D5100 vertical grip" and was like.... WWWWHHHHHAAAA!?!?!

Attachments

• $Nikon Grip left.JPG
    $Nikon Grip left.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 4,656
  • $Nikon Grip rear.JPG
    $Nikon Grip rear.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 1,615
  • $Nikon Grip right.JPG
    $Nikon Grip right.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,165
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had the Meike grip (from Ebay $35) for my d5100, no issues, does it compare to my Nikon grip used with my D7000? Probably not, but at $180 bucks less it worked fine.

AaronLLockhart said:
They make that same Generic grip for several models. I use that one on my D5000, and love it.

Hmmm...makes me want one. I've always been nervous about buying a 3rd party grip. Probably a stupid question but Does it make it easier/more convenient to shoot vertically with it??

The position of the shutter button when the camera is rotated 90 degrees (with a grip) is very much like the position of the shutter button when shooting your camera in it's
normal horizontal position. Yes, to answer your question Megan, It's very convenient.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back