Best Nikon to get stepping up from a D5500.

JBOPictures

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my next camera and I'm looking for a good all around Nikon. The d5500 has been a great little camera so far but ready to step it up without breaking the bank. I will be using it for business purposes as well, from portraits to architecture plus some nature and landscapes. Any input would be great! Thanks

Sent from my LG-LS777 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

A D7100 or D7200 would be an upgrade in terms of the ability to use older, AF or AF-D type lenses with full autofocusing, and will have FP Sync flash capability, plus dual controls, one for the aperture, one for the shutter, as opposed to the so-called "single button" type control system.

I went from the D5500 to the D7500 and am so glad I did. The D7500 shoots so good that I feel my D5500 may have had a faulty focusing system. Everything on the D7500 seems to come out tack sharp as long as I do my part. Having extra dials and buttons is a big plus as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is a full frame in the budget? Remember glass needs to considered if you're interested.

I would look at the D7100 or 7200 but if you don't have prime lenses or a quality zoom yet I would put the money into glass first. The body can come and go but glass will stay with you.

What lenses do you have now?
Are they DX or FX lenses?
If you get a FX camera, you have to replace the DX lenses with FX lenses.​
Do you want to keep using those, or are you willing to upgrade?
Example - The D7500 does not support the older mechanical (screwdriver) AF lenses.​
Is weight an issue?
As you go up from the D5500, the cameras get heavier.
When you go up to FX cameras, the FX lenses are also heavier.​
What features/functions do you want?
Example - Tilting rear screen (the D7500 has it, the D7200 does NOT)
Example - FX/FF vs. DX/crop sensor​
What is your budget for camera and lens?
"without breaking the bank" tells me very little, like maybe stay below $3,000.​

Without knowing anything more, here are a couple of options
  • DX
    • D7500 + 18-140 f/3.5-5.6
    • D7500 + 16-80 f/2.8-4 (better optics than the 18-140, but less zoom range)
  • FX
    • D750 + 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 (sharper than the 24-120 but less zoom range and variable aperture)
    • D750 + 24-120 f/4

Best Nikon to get stepping up from a D5500.
Best, particularly for business purposes as well - Nikon D5 DSLR

Think about quality professional grade lenses more so than the camera body. And for business/portraits/architecture photographic lighting should also be a major consideration.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm about to purchase my next camera and I'm looking for a good all around Nikon. The d5500 has been a great little camera so far but ready to step it up without breaking the bank. I will be using it for business purposes as well, from portraits to architecture plus some nature and landscapes. Any input would be great! Thanks
Depends on your budget.

For me, a $700 step was a significant step up, so I purchased a D7100. My primary goal in stepping up was so I could use some older screw-drive lenses which can be purchased used. Of course, you also get other significant upgrades once you move out of the "baby Nikon" lines (D3xxx and D5xxx).

You might also consider a gently used camera as a budget-saver, although use care in making your selection.

As to your lenses, you can use any Nikon F-mount lens on either a DX- or FX-sized sensor body. The camera will sense what lens is on the front (assuming the lens has CPU contacts) and automatically switch to DX mode, using only the DX portion of the sensor-captured image. Some early lenses didn't come with those contacts.

I started with a d5200, moved to a d7000 then a d750 (full frame). The focusing, handling, view finder and IQ of the D750 is much better in every respect. However, I do miss the reach I had with the d7000 crop frame and my 105mm macro lens. I have a d7500 on order for use with macro, sports, (because of the big buffer) and long tele. So, if you want to stay with crop frame, I think the D7200 or D7500 would be a good choice. You can still use all your lenses and DX lenses are cheaper than FX lenses.

What lenses do you have now?
Are they DX or FX lenses?
If you get a FX camera, you have to replace the DX lenses with FX lenses.​
Do you want to keep using those, or are you willing to upgrade?
Example - The D7500 does not support the older mechanical (screwdriver) AF lenses.​
Actually, the D7500 DOES Support the older AF/AF-D lenses.

What it does NOT have is the AI coupling ring which no longer meters on older non-CPU AI lenses.

I think a Northrup video, he says it doesn't. But no one should ever watch his videos anyways.

Most reactions

Back