Best of... Uncle Bobs

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The folks on another forum I frequent often do "Best of..." story threads. I'd like to start one here about Uncle Bobs - mostly because I need a reason to share this lovely tale with y'all.
I shot an amazing wedding this weekend. The officiant was very cool and gave me permission to use as much flash as I needed and I was allowed to move around during the ceremony. He even said that there was no "off limit" area because "capturing the moments and memories is so very important." Yeah, I was pretty stoked - this is the first time the officiant gave me all the freedom in the world and I was ready to do whatever and go where ever I had to to get the best shots.

So there I was, in the isle, camera up and focused locked - ready for the kiss. The officiant says, "...you may kiss..." and Uncle Bob JUMPS in front of me and takes the shot. Luckily it was a, ahem, long kiss so I was able to lean slightly to the side and get the shots. I wanted to rip the guy a new one (especially since he had a Nikon :801:) but I just said, "Excuse me!" in my most annoyed tone.

This was his worst offense, but he followed me around all day and shot over my shoulder. He tried to pose during formals after the ceremony (which I promptly wrapped up and said, "Alright y'all, we're good, let's get back to the reception!") and that only exacerbated my annoyance.

I didn't have a problem with it since he was mostly staying out of my way, but after the kiss incident, I was peeved, then he went and tried to pull that stunt at formals.

I really want to find out who the guy is and see how he's posting these on FB (because, obviously, that's inevitable). I'm not afraid to point out what's in my contract (exclusivity clause) if he is trying to use the photos for advertisement.

Okay, rant over. Give me your best Uncle Bob story!

Your contract should not only state that he can't use it for advertisement. Your contract should state that no other photographers, amateur or otherwise, should be present for the formal photos, and that you reserve the right to throw out anyone (from where you're shooting, not the wedding) who is keeping you from physically being able to do your job.

Put something like that in your contract, talk to your clients about it during booking and STRESS this point and why it's important.

Your contract should not only state that he can't use it for advertisement. Your contract should state that no other photographers, amateur or otherwise, should be present for the formal photos, and that you reserve the right to throw out anyone (from where you're shooting, not the wedding) who is keeping you from physically being able to do your job.

Put something like that in your contract, talk to your clients about it during booking and STRESS this point and why it's important.
The problem is, even if you do put this in, there's no stopping 'Uncle Bobs'....

The problem is, even if you do put this in, there's no stopping 'Uncle Bobs'....

Sure there is.

I used to do it all the time, and I've had two photographers recently do this, while I was second shooting with them.

1. You have the couple explain to their guests in an announcement before hand or in the invitation or whatever that they are welcome to take photos of the ceremony but need to remain in their seats out of respect for the couple. If the COUPLE asks for it... most people will respect that.

2. During formals, you politely turn around and say, "If you don't mind, I would like to give the couple and wedding party some space. We will be headed to the reception soon, and you are welcome to take all your photos of them there! :allteeth: " And if you've prepped your couple, they will help drive that point home.

Okay, this is politically incorrect, but.... Can you say concealed carry..... lol

All that is in there. I think it's wise to have the B&G mention this to their guests and something I'll keep in mind for the future (though I'm working to get away from weddings in the coming year).

Yes, I could have stopped shooting and I would have been well within my contracted right to do so. I need to work on being assertive - at the moment, I can either ignore or I can blow up. Saving myself from either of those, by communicating with the B&G first would be the best bet :) Thanks for your advice, Emily!

Ron- that's in the works, PC or not :)

Sure there is.

I used to do it all the time, and I've had two photographers recently do this, while I was second shooting with them.

1. You have the couple explain to their guests in an announcement before hand or in the invitation or whatever that they are welcome to take photos of the ceremony but need to remain in their seats out of respect for the couple. If the COUPLE asks for it... most people will respect that.

2. During formals, you politely turn around and say, "If you don't mind, I would like to give the couple and wedding party some space. We will be headed to the reception soon, and you are welcome to take all your photos of them there! :allteeth: " And if you've prepped your couple, they will help drive that point home.
That's just it; "most" people.

I wanted to rip the guy a new one (especially since he had a Nikon :801:) but I just said, "Excuse me!" in my most annoyed tone.

Well maybe Uncle Bob saw that you were shooting Canon and he wanted to get them a good picture :345:

:icon_jokercolor:

I think trying to be the only one with a camera at a wedding is pretty ridiculous in the year 2014. People have cameras. Lotta' cameras out there in the world today. If one's work isn't way better than what an Uncle Bob can produce, it might be time to re-think the whole wedding game. The whole, "I am the only personal allowed to have a camera at this wedding," level of exclusionary behavior is something I just cannot agree with. It's just unrealistic in the year 2014.

Besides, if ONLY the official photographer of record has a camera at a wedding, that kills the potential for amazing Uncle Bob stories! And as we know, Uncle Bob stories are like, "The biggest fish of the trip!" stories, or "The royal flush that won me the '67 Mustang in a poker game!" stories.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back