Best Photography Book?

AlexisRhea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!
I'm brand new to this forum. I've been browsing through the posts, but I didn't see anything on this yet. I currently have an Olympus C-760. (I adore this camera). I am hoping to acquire my DSLR within the month. What I am looking for is the best comprehensive book on photography. I have a lot to learn as far as the technicalities and even just the basics! What are your favorites? Any one book stick out as the best guide for you?

I'm looking forward to your responses! :mrgreen:

Just so its not all text, here is one of my favorite photos. (If this isn't allowed, I'll take it down)

weird-bee-ii-web.jpg

Hello and Welcome! I'm glad to see another "Ohioan" here.

Good shot by the way

look up Michael Langford (basic photography) and if your past the basic stage then his "advanced photography" is a good comprehensive guide to all things photography. H

Thanks for the welcome! :D

Thanks for the suggestion Flash Harry! :)

Don't forget to look at lots of collections of photos by photographers whose work you admire -- it's learning from the masters!

Two books that were recommended to me were:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2870276-4859134?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178889385&sr=8-1"]Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=pd_rhf_p_2/104-2870276-4859134"]The Digital Photography Book[/ame]

Don't forget to look at lots of collections of photos by photographers whose work you admire -- it's learning from the masters!

I agree. For portraiture check out Arnold Newman. His work is amazing!

Thanks for the book suggestions! Thanks for the idea about photograhpers I admire. I am a sponge! I am looking to understand the technical side of things better so I can ultimately be more creative. Knowledge is power, yes?

Thanks again! I think I have a good start.

the understanding exposure book is pretty much a standard around here

I have read (meaning to do it sometime soon) but i have heard that
the books by Ansel Adams "The Camera" "The Negative" and "The Print" are good. The are geared to film, but you can take a lot of what applies to film and carry it over to digital

hey thanx i was lookin for some reading material to get more info on photography. im startin it as a hobby. lesse how it works out. cheers.
J. Dsilva

John Hedgecoe makes lots of good beginning photography books. Look him up on Amazon, or check your local library. You can find lots of great resources there for free.

At the library take a look at Ansel Adam's books "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print". They are mainly about BW film, but there is plenty of great info about how lenses work, light, exposure, image management, pre-visualization, vocabulary, and creatively and personally interpreting reality in your photographs. You can just skip over the technical details that are directly relating to traditional BW film processes if that's not something you are interested in.

Most reactions

Back