Best photography books?

I'd recommend Complete Digital Photography by Ben Long. Here: Complete Digital Photography: Ben Long: 9781285077260: Amazon.com: Books

The book will take you through EVERYTHING. It will explain your camera to you, it will teach you some basic art, exposure, and the digital dark room (photoshop). It will teach you about your camera sensor, the lenses, how it creates an image, how to use your histogram, how to properly expose a photo, about white balance modes, how to use metering modes, how to compose your photo, and how to edit it. It is literally "complete."

It is definitely a beginners book. In fact, I recommend it BEFORE reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, which is another great book.

The Kelby books did nothing for me. They are more of a recipe book. They don't actually teach you photography, but many people like them.

I can't speak for John Hedgcoe. I know some people have compared Ben Long's and his book. But, I haven't read Hedgcoe.

Anyways, I highly recommend Ben Long, and then Bryan Peterson. The beginning of Ben Long's book might seem overwhelming, but it actually gets easier as it goes on, so don't let it get to you. If you're literally JUST starting photography and know NOTHING, get Ben Long's book. He will teach you to understand your camera and the basics of photography. After that, read Understanding Exposure. It'll teach you how to shoot on manual mode. Again, this is just my opinion. I don't know about Hedgcoe.

All this from one beginner to another ;) (but you're probably better off listening to the veterans).

Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it just like any other 😉

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also found Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure easy to understand as a beginner. Don't spend your money, use your library. I just picked up Understanding Composition from my local library.

Since I don't think anyone else mentioned them, I'll recommend the "Digital Field Guide" series of books. They cover all kinds of general photography topics and there are books specifically for your make/model of camera. They are easy to read and comprehend for beginners and walk you through the basics, in addition to giving you examples to try on your own.

Amazon.com: digital field guide: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Agree on Understanding Exposure. I finished it a month or so ago, and it's made a tremendous difference.

I believe that the books written pre digital age teach it best. Thumbing through some of those at the local B&N is time well spent. Combined with a third party guide to your camera to teach what the owner's manual means also a good investment. Magic Lantern and others publish these guides.

When deciding which books to buy reading comprehension counts. I open to chapter one of the book and start reading. If it is written at a level that i can understand, it gets a passing grade. if I'm having trouble keeping up in chapter one, by the time we get to HDR or time lapse, the book is more likely to be a dust collecter than a useful guide.

I'm currently taking a photography class at college. The textbook can be very expensive. It is more thorough of what I have learned. I'm sured there are several photography classes at you local camera store or a nearby school. You may have to spend money on fees and materials. Don't do the same mistake as I did, reading Ken Rockwell, unless you are open minded reading all the nonsense.

Learning about the camera is the EASIEST part of photography. Believe me...that can be done in an hour or so. Maybe an afternoon.

The Hedgecoe books, ALL of them, detail how to actually "do" photography. How to find pictures. How to set-up pictures. How to frame pictures.How to create pictures. How to look for kinds of lighting conditions, and how to position yourself and your subject--in relationship to the "light".

Photography is about writing with light. A lot of people today want a book that takes them by the hand and shows them how to, say, "run" the Nikon D7100, or how to "operate" the Canon EOS 600D. And that book comes with the camera in the form of the owner's manual. It covers ALL of the necessary nuts and bolts mechanical operating stuff. Aperture, ISO, shutter, exposure modes, focusing.

You asked about the best photography books, and I am assuming you meant the best photography instructional guides for beginning- to intermediate-level photography enthusiasts, and so, I listed just one, specific author, and one specific book. I have a copy of that book on my desk, right now. The 2004 title that KmH listed is also a good book title...same author, a bit newer book. I have read every one of Hedgecoe's books, over the past 30 years.

My feeling is this: the Hedgecoe books are the absolute best books ever written for beginners who want to learn "photography". His books show hundreds and hundred of sketches and sample photos that address these critical issues:how to see light, how to find light, how to position yourself and your subjects in relation to the light, and how to use a camera,lens, and light to make photographs.

Thank you for your great salesman technique after reading through this thread I made the purchase for John Hedgecoe - Complete guide to photography.

Seventen said:
Thank you for your great salesman technique after reading through this thread I made the purchase for John Hedgecoe - Complete guide to photography.

You will not regret buying that book. I appreciate your comment. I guarantee you that with that book and six months of practicing some of its lessons, your work will be better.

creativeLIVE: Free live workshops taught by world-class experts

I started getting interested in photography a few years ago so I am relatively new and found some of these videos very informative.

I purchased creativeLIVE: Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2012 with John Greengo and creativeLIVE: Canon 5D Mark II - DSLR Fast Start and found them useful. They are bit expensive but you can watch workshops for free if you catch them live. It might be worth your time. Hope this helps ;)
free live online workshops taught by world class experts

Most reactions

Back