• Ultra long - over 200mm

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm curious about your general choice of lens.

I notice I do most of my best work with a 17-85. I have other lenses but this is the focal length that I find I do my best photos with. I find wider doesn't get used very often and longer doesn't really give the same quality of image.

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I honestly don't know, I shoot with all my lenses so much that I can't tell you right off what I think is best, and i'm not about to go through thousands and thousands of images to find out.

I DO KNOW however that my most useful lens is my 18-70 becuase it's that perfect 28-105 range on digital.

Buszaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I shoot mostly sports and wildlife, so long is good for me. However, ultra long is sometimes used to.

John_Olexa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot mostly sports and wildlife, so long is good for me. However, ultra long is sometimes used to.

Same here. For me mostly in the 300-400 range.

OP
R

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I'm generally disappointed by lenses over 135mm effective focal length.

I found when I used 35mm that I stuck with lenses from 28 - 135 for best results.

I

Iron Flatline

I shoot people on the street, and the only way for me to do that is to get close - so I use a 21mm and 28mm lens - and my cameras have a crop factor of 1.x and 1.6, so the typical focal length for me is around 28mm to 50mm (equiv.)

Miaow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s7.invisionfree.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
For me - The pics of the 18-55 are sharper than the kit zoom 75-300mm but recently the Zoom has been staying on the camera since I've been doing a few bird shots - I like how with the higher focal lengths I can get better shallow DOF etc. I think I've finally found a reasonable sharpness level in user profiles to combat the softness of the kit zoom lens.

JerryPH

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I sincerely cannot tell you... I have taken some incredible pictures from each one of my lenses in one way or another. I even have a few nice ones from lenses that some people consider absolute crap! :confused: :lol:

The ones that are on my camera the most are the Nikkor 18-200 VR and the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 macro, but again that changes a lot based on what I need or want to accomplish.

JIP

Reaction score
I think we have a true consensus it is almost unanimous. Use whatever focal-length fits your particular style on the given day you are shooting that particular question. There is no "best" focal range different peole use different things hell if there were a best one there wuld only be one lens for everyone to use.

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
When I shoot gigs, unless it is a small venue the lens on my camera is 28-70mm 2.8f.

Mind you I do have a cropped sensor so it can get a little zoomy.

Most reactions

New Topics