• Ultra long - over 200mm

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm curious about your general choice of lens.

I notice I do most of my best work with a 17-85. I have other lenses but this is the focal length that I find I do my best photos with. I find wider doesn't get used very often and longer doesn't really give the same quality of image.

I honestly don't know, I shoot with all my lenses so much that I can't tell you right off what I think is best, and i'm not about to go through thousands and thousands of images to find out.

I DO KNOW however that my most useful lens is my 18-70 becuase it's that perfect 28-105 range on digital.

I shoot mostly sports and wildlife, so long is good for me. However, ultra long is sometimes used to.

I shoot mostly sports and wildlife, so long is good for me. However, ultra long is sometimes used to.

Same here. For me mostly in the 300-400 range.

I'm generally disappointed by lenses over 135mm effective focal length.

I found when I used 35mm that I stuck with lenses from 28 - 135 for best results.

I shoot people on the street, and the only way for me to do that is to get close - so I use a 21mm and 28mm lens - and my cameras have a crop factor of 1.x and 1.6, so the typical focal length for me is around 28mm to 50mm (equiv.)

For me - The pics of the 18-55 are sharper than the kit zoom 75-300mm but recently the Zoom has been staying on the camera since I've been doing a few bird shots - I like how with the higher focal lengths I can get better shallow DOF etc. I think I've finally found a reasonable sharpness level in user profiles to combat the softness of the kit zoom lens.

I sincerely cannot tell you... I have taken some incredible pictures from each one of my lenses in one way or another. I even have a few nice ones from lenses that some people consider absolute crap! :confused: :lol:

The ones that are on my camera the most are the Nikkor 18-200 VR and the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 macro, but again that changes a lot based on what I need or want to accomplish.

I think we have a true consensus it is almost unanimous. Use whatever focal-length fits your particular style on the given day you are shooting that particular question. There is no "best" focal range different peole use different things hell if there were a best one there wuld only be one lens for everyone to use.

When I shoot gigs, unless it is a small venue the lens on my camera is 28-70mm 2.8f.

Mind you I do have a cropped sensor so it can get a little zoomy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back