Best prime for Basketball? 28mm or 50mm?

I don't know your budget. Reviews suggest that the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is a better lens than the Canon, but it costs more. You might want to investigate.

Yeah I saw the Sigma but it was out of my budget. I just ordered the canon from adorama. I hope I like it. No turning back now. :lol:

As much as I like my primes, I think in your situation, a short zoom may be appropriate. I don't really know Canon's lineup, but the 24-70mm range would be handy.

As much as I like my primes, I think in your situation, a short zoom may be appropriate. I don't really know Canon's lineup, but the 24-70mm range would be handy.

I have my kit lens. It's a 18-55 but it was just a little slow aperture wise. I wanted to get a prime anyway, I just wanted the best for the lower light basketball games. Like I said I ordered the 50mm 1.4 so thanks for the help.

Marc.

Absolutely! I love showing of my son! I'm pretty proud of him.
Well, now that you bring it up..........

My oldest
749561908_8YqsA-XL.jpg

The younger & my father
749634652_kzMzk-XL.jpg

Just a couple of snapshots during the holidays.​

I think you might wish you had purchased a nice, fast zoom after all is said and done. Money sure is a hindrance to the things we want, isn't it?

Yeah I saw the Sigma but it was out of my budget. I just ordered the canon from adorama. I hope I like it. No turning back now. :lol:

Love the canon f/1.4 50, and you will not be disappointed. I shoot ball with it right under the net with my 5D and love it.

The boys at UPS left me a present today! The weather is horrible so I haven't been able to get out and take any real great shots but here is one I did just to play with the selective DOF. It's awesome! I can't wait to get to the basketball court.

The lens you bought also has a manual focus override when the lens is set to AF. So you can fine tune your focus with the focus ring after the lens has autofocused. It's a great lens, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Just added a 135mm F2.0L prime to the line up but this is on a full frame not cropped so we will see how she fairs under the dim boys & girls gym lights with no flash, I find my 100mm to still be a little far out.. I like to zero in on my subjects out there and catch expressions etc... I do use my 50mm 1.4 USM under the hoop most of the time though.

Most reactions

Back