Best Product For Mancave Art?

I hope it's not blasphemous but for that large of a space I'd think about a painting. Fun to do. Easy to hang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just playing devil's advocate, but if this is going into a garage environment, will it be exposed to exhaust fumes, bright lights or other harmful environmental elements? If so, won't that dictate what you use to some extent?

What is the image resolution (pixel dimensions)?

The image is: 2048 × 1365 pixels @ 72 dpi
Digital images don't have any dpi, or dots per inch. Pixels and dots are not the same things.

The image resolution is 2048 pixels x 1356 pixels - a 3:2 aspect ratio.
To print 4 feet wide or 48" the print resolution - pixels per inch (ppi) - would have to be set to:
2048 px / 48 " = 42.7 ppi. Insufficient print resolution to make a quality print 4 feet wide.
Unless the image resolution were to be increased quite a bit.

If it is a JPEG file, increasing the image resolution is likely to be problematic because the JPEG MMU (Minimum Coded Unit, a JPEG file compression technique) boundaries will likely become visible in the print.
Note: Image resolution & print resolution determine print size.

Most print labs stake their reputations on about a 100 ppi minimum print resolution. In other words, they won't make a print at less than 100 ppi.

At 100 ppi the biggest your image file could print is: 2048 px / 100 ppi = 20.46 inches. A more realistic print resolution for a JPEG file is no less than 180 ppi.
At 180 ppi the print will be: 2048 px / 180 ppi = 11.2 inches wide.

So you need image resolution of at least 2048 px times 2.34, or 4796 px on the long side. Call it 5000 px to print 4 feet wide. Having 4.2x, or 8633 px, would get you up to 180 ppi.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the info! Here I thought I had a high enough resolution to do a large print. I'll have to dig through all the images I have and see what my largest pixel images are.

A velvet Elvis as a bullfighter. Like you'd find in Tijuana or Nogales. No, really, impressionistic rendering of a car photo the op likes. It doesn't have to look like a car, that's what photography does.

No - dogs playing poker.

What product do you recommend for large (4'x8' or larger) wall art in a garage or mancave? I was looking to have some photographs of cars enlarged and hang them in my workshop. I would like something that would be a quality piece for a long time to come.

Here's an example of a photograph that I would like to have done:
View attachment 143591

Great question! For doing wall art in a garage, I would definitely recommend one of our custom metal signs. You could either go with one of our aluminum signs (standard, brushed, or reflective finish) or you could go with a metal print (white matte, brushed gloss, or brushed matte finish)

One of the really cool things about the aluminum signs is the ability to contour or halo cut the sign to the shape of your image, as seen here:

Signs-Aluminum-2017Contour-2268.jpg

With this we offer options for drilling holes and mounting, such as metal standoffs.

If you want to go with displaying a more standard photo, then you can go with the metal print. They have a very professional look and finish which you can see here:

section-tertiary-img-1290.jpg

These could be some great options for displaying some wall art in your garage, but we also have a lot of other options. Check out all of our Signs for Home products to see if there is something else that better fits your needs.

I do like those metal prints!

How tough is it to ship several of these large metal prints? Shipping companies usually do their best to break/damage packages and I would think these metal prints would be pretty fragile when it comes to getting dropped on corners etc?

I do like those metal prints!

How tough is it to ship several of these large metal prints? Shipping companies usually do their best to break/damage packages and I would think these metal prints would be pretty fragile when it comes to getting dropped on corners etc?

Great question! Do you know roughly the size and quantity of prints you are looking to get? We have worked hard with our shipping partners to ensure fast and careful deliveries of our prints, with very very few receiving any type of damage upon delivery. However, if you were to receive damaged prints, all you would need to do is take a picture, send it to us, and we will have a replacement sent out to you right away.

I was hoping to have a print about 6'x4' or larger. Something that really pops off a wall that is about 16' tall by 90' long.

I was hoping to have a print about 6'x4' or larger. Something that really pops off a wall that is about 16' tall by 90' long.

Great. If you are wanting to go with something that large, then you would need to go with the aluminum sign (since the other type of metal print only goes up to 40" x 30"). You have several options with this sign, such as rounding the corners, changing the finish (standard, brushed, or reflective), having it contour or halo cut, and including stylish mounting options. With a print that large it would ship FedEx ground, and as I mentioned before, we have worked with FedEx to ensure careful delivery of our products. In the event that anything happens to your print while shipping we would be sure to take care of you.

Most reactions

Back