Best Professional Nikon Camera for landscape & wildlife

LenKaiser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lenmkaiser.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the best Nikon DSLR camera for landscape & wildlife photography? When I'm done with school I plan on doing this professionally and want to know what camera would be the best to use. I've read us and found out a few that are recommended for sports and various other things, but I have not found anything that says its great for wildlife. I currently have a Nikon D3100 which is great for student stuff, but probably will not cut it for professional stuff. I've heard good things about the D700, D800 & D600.

The question is what lens.. not what camera.

Well I've looked at various lenses and I realize that I'll need more/different lenses than I do now, but I'm worried that my little D3100 will not cut it on the professional level and I'd prefer not to show up for a shoot/work with something that they are going to roll their eyes at lol.

Well I've looked at various lenses and I realize that I'll need more/different lenses than I do now, but I'm worried that my little D3100 will not cut it on the professional level and I'd prefer not to show up for a shoot/work with something that they are going to roll their eyes at lol.
Well if that it what you are worried about get this. No one will roll their eyes at you.

Wait. Are you trying to become a professional landscape photographer?

I agree. Before getting into a pro level camera, you might want to get into a mid-level, as many photographers will never be able to outdo these. If you can, your work will pay for the pro level.

Wait. Are you trying to become a professional landscape photographer?

No comment...

Anyways invest in a good tripod, graduated filters and a camera with good dynamic range. D800 is more than enough camera to last even the best photographers many years.

I can't say which is best for you because that's personal, but I would suggest looking at the D800. From what I've seen it's about as close to medium format as you can get with 35 mm. There certainly isn't any other Nikon that can compete with file size with 14-bit 36-megapixel RAW files. Landscape is a good subject for large prints, and for large prints you want more megapixels, especially from a full-frame sensor like the D800's. That's not to say it's the only good landscape camera, but those are some compelling reasons to look at it. And for any camera I would recommend looking at the used market. If you shop carefully you can save a few hundred bucks. Don't get too attached to the idea of "landscape" or "wildlife" cameras. It's not the camera that makes good photos; it's the photographer. No camera is going to make you a better photographer. That comes through understanding, practice and skill. A pro can make a great picture with any DSLR. If you get the D800 and shoot RAW, be prepared to work with system-choking files that balloon quickly as you work with layers and masks.

Before you look for a pro "Landscape/Wildlife" camera you need to do a couple of other things first.

1. Get a degree in business. Successful Professional Photography is 90% business 10% camera time.

2. Learn photography. Really learn photography. The whole deal, not just how to press a shutter button. If you can learn as much about photography as Helen B has forgotten about photography you have good chance.

Well if that it what you are worried about get this. No one will roll their eyes at you.

You probably knew I'd chime in on this. Anybody want a Ford Focus and a wife? Package deal.

D7100's a great camera. Weather sealing is a huge help, particularly in... weather. Yeah. That.

D800 for the body for sure nice big files to play with.

D800, Nikon 12-24 2.8, a full set of GND and ND filters by Lee, as well as a polarizer and Lee Big Stopper, a GOOD tripod, and maybe a shutter release.

Nikon D4. $6k, body only. You did ask what was the best professional body. There it is.

A D3100 with a pro lens is more than capable of making top notch photos. It is a far better camera than the vast majority of cameras made before 2004, during which time there were professional photos.

In reality though even if you use an entry level camera with a kit lens (aperture stopped down), you will have a really nice quality image. Put the camera on a tripod, use the lowest native iso, stop down the lens to f11, most people cant tell it was shot with a kit lens and an entry level camera.

Most reactions

Back