Best SD Cards for Our DSLR's?

MrSleepin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i have been using an 8gb sandisk class 4 card for the past 4.5 years! i figured it was outdated so i went to compusa today and picked up 2 new cards.

i got a 8gb class 6 card and a class 10 32gb card, both patriot brand.

i immediately got to testing the cards, and my d80 has a max of 3fps in burst mode, and both the new cards can not keep up! i don't understand!

at first it shoots fine, then i guess the card warms up and it will start doing 1 shot every 2-3 seconds! review and deleting photos is also slower!

is it just because the d80 is an older model, and wasn't built to compliment the class 6-10 cards? i have since put the cards, i just purchased, up for sale on craigslist.

Completely disappointed.

Your camera's write speed may be your limit. Once your card equals what the camera can spit out, anything more Class speed is useless.

When buying SD cards, you need to look at more than just the Class for performance. Class 10 just means it is the newest format with a minimum of 10 Mb/sec write. That Patriot 32GB Class 10 only has a guaranteed write speed of 10Mb/sec at a retail of about $40, you can get a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 32GB Class 4 that guarantees 15Mb/sec for $5 less. Better card, better performance, cheaper. I use The SanDisk Extreme CLass 10 cards. They are guaranteed at 30Mb/sec and have had great experience with them. They are more expensive though. If you check ebay and amazon, you can get an 8GB for around $20-25. Brands like Patriot, Professional, and Transcend are generic brands at low quality for geral purpose retail (affordable). A couple other brands that are more common but usually don't have the best quality in my opnion for SDHC are ADATA and Panasonic. I like SanDisk the best but 2 other great brands are Kingston and PNY.

If hasn't been already said, check towards the end of your manual, and it will tell you the best recommended brands as well as sizes. As for myself? I use an 8GB EyeFi Card and so far it's still up and working.

I've used multiple brands and haven't had an issue with any of them. I never noticed any performance difference making any of them stand out as "better" either.

Sounds like your buffer filled up. Are you shooting in RAW?

A faster sd card will not solve your buffer capacity issue. I have a d7000 and I shoot in RAW and can get about 10 shoots at 6fps off before the buffer fills up. After that, I get about a shot ever 1-2 seconds. This is with a 8gb class 10 20mb/s card.

The difference In a faster card lies in how fast your camera can write all those pics before emptying the buffer and allowing you to shoot at max speed again.

Generally a class 6 card such as the Sandisk (15mbs) can keep up with your still shots.
You will need a faster card (30mbs) for Video or the camera will stop, stutter, or miss segments when shooting HD1080P at 30fps.

Most reactions

Back