best storage and charging for 1 month of the grid

Jaap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going on a one month safari. Self drive, no lodges, of the grid for 1 month. I will be shooting with two bodies D70 and D200 (D70 compressed RAW, D200 RAW). I expect to shoot up to 1500 images per day. I estimate that 1500 images take up about 24 GB. So for one month I am looking at 720 GB of storage. I'd also like to do an additional back up, just in case.

My question is: 1. what would be the best way to deal with this large amount of storage? 2. What would be the best way to charge the needed devices?

I have contemplated the following options: 1. 2 card holders hooked up to a laptop, connected to 2 1TB portable external hard drives (such as Seagate Backup Plus), use software program to manage simultaneous download to the 2 drives. (Problem I see with this set-up is: have to bring lap top (heavy, high power consumption).
2. A designated photo storage device and a USB external drive linked to it, so I can do a download and back up simultaneous. (such as SANHO 750GB hyperdrive). (I like this idea; light, low power consumption).
3. For power supply I thought of the following: Power Gorilla with solar panels. Power converter for the vehicle plug in (although I am a bit worried about draining the car battery in the middle of nowhere....).

Thanks!

I would use a 2 to 400 watt power-inverter connected to the vehicle. My choice of equipment would be a Panasonic ToughBook and a four ruggezied external drives, if that's not in the budget, than an inexpensive netbook, hard-drives and a Pelican case. Do all your charging when the vehicle is in motion (ensure you have at least three batteries for each body).

Thanks tired iron, It sounds like the power inverter is the way to go. I will be traveling by air and I think I will have a bit of a problem staying within the weight restrictions with all my camera gear.... Pelican case is nice, but again, the weight... How about the photo storage device option? I see there are some good ones out there that go up to 750 GB with the option to link to a hard-drive. I don't think I will have much time to do any editing so I would not need a computer for that. Thanks for the help. Cheers,
Jaap

I'd go with a small computer of some kind and two 500GB external hard drives. That way you can have a back up and I'd suggest deleting all of you obvious "non keepers" as you go and that should do you, or buy bigger if you have the budget. And I'll back up tired iron and highly recommend a pelican case. That much shooting and traveling is just asking for someone to crush a camera bag, or to grab the bag in a hurry only to realize it was unzipped after you hear that sickening sound of heavy glass shattering on the ground. Would you rather pay the extra $$ for the overweight charge, or buy new bodies and/or glass when you get home?

Thanks scorpion_tyr - I do like the idea of having a computer so I can delete obvious ones and I also do like the idea of a pelican case. I have to maul this over a bit... Thanks for the advice!

Maybe a bit of a deviation from my original question but how about air travel? How do you guys do it? From what I understand, if I am over the carry on weight limit I will have to check it in. I don't want to do that. Too many things gone missing over the years that way. If I could carry it on and pay extra for it I would gladly do that. I have two bodies, flash, 300 prime, 80-200 zoom and a wide angle to carry. Plus computer (possibly). Plus binoculars. It will fit in the maximum allowable size bag/case, but it will be over weight... especially with the extra computer...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back