Best subjects in/near Nashville TN?

jamesbjenkins

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.ballengerphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
*Mods, I'm not entirely sure where to post this thread, since I'm not interested in any feedback from total amateurs. If you move it, I'll learn for next time.*

Hey all, I'm going to be traveling to Nashville next week and I'll be there for about a week. There will be down time and I'd like to capitalize on it since I've never been to Nashville before. For you pro or semi-pro shooters, I'd love to know where the best places to photograph to get the real essence of Nashville. It can be natural, architectural, whatever really. Obviously, I'm going to shoot the Opry, Belmont and the Bluebird Cafe, but other than that I'd love some feedback.

My plan is to put together an editorial style print set and possibly an album depending on the quality of the set. I've got a few days until we're heading that way, so hopefully I can get some good feedback from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

YAY!!!!!

I wish I had some real insight.

I've lived here since February and I don't really know. I haven't had a chance to get out yet. :grumpy:

This is why I want to do a photo walk downtown at the end of the month with all the Nashvillians.

I'ma. I'm just posting to get ideas I guess.

I hear Opry isn't all that it's cracked up to be, but again, I haven't even been there yet.

This concludes your daily dose of unhelpful posts for the day. :lmao:

Dang it, Emily, you were one of the ones I wanted ideas from! :p

I didn't know if Nashville had a downtown worth wasting two hours trying to find something cool to shoot.

And I don't know if Opry is anything worth shooting, but my brother-in-law lives in Nashville, and he's on his way to being a star. So visiting the Opry is pretty well mandatory.

Dang it, Emily, you were one of the ones I wanted ideas from! :p

I didn't know if Nashville had a downtown worth wasting two hours trying to find something cool to shoot.

And I don't know if Opry is anything worth shooting, but my brother-in-law lives in Nashville, and he's on his way to being a star. So visiting the Opry is pretty well mandatory.

Hahaha, sorry. Major fail.

I like downtown... Lots of people about if you're into street photography, and I've been wanting to go exploring for some cool urban locations, but just haven't yet.

I think it's be worth visiting at least once while you're here :sillysmi:

Who's your brother, if you don't mind my asking?

Steven Krause. He's in a couple studio bands right now and wrote the song American Idol Top 10 Josh Holiday sang on TV earlier this year. The kid has all the talent in the world and the right personality. He just needs the right person to come along. I fully expect him to make it big.

James, are you talking about the Opry house or the Ryman? To me, I'd rather shoot the Ryman because of the history. I have not been to Nashville yet, but I've been wanting to go for a few years now. Another place to check out while at the Ryman would be Tootsies. This would be more history, as it is the place where Opry stars would go and play and have a cool one after the show. The other stuff that I want to see and possibly photograph are music related too.

Wished I could help, but I look forward to seeing what people suggest and what you end up coming back with. Sounds like a fun trip.

The "Essence" of the music section of Nashville is to be found in two places. First is what we refer to as the "Lower Broad" area which is in reality the end of Broadway Street where it runs into the Cumberland River at Riverfront Park. In a roughly 4 block square area there are dozens of cafes, bars, nightclubs, music spots, and everything else pertaining to "Music" in Nashville. It is also home to the Ryman Auditorium which is where the Grand Ole Opry used to be filmed.

The second area is "Music Row" which is 2 or 3 miles away. It encompasses the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, as well as most of the music companies that call Nashville home (Sony Nashville, Curb Music, etc.).

Gaylord Entertainment (who now owns the Opryland trademark, I think) is in a large facility well outside of downtown Nashville, over where the former Opryland Amusement Park was located. For a long while it was TNN (The Nashville Network) and then became Gaylord Productions.

Also take a look at Union Station. It was a railroad terminal built in 1900 and is now a hotel or something. Very interesting architecture though.

Right next door to Union Station is the Frist Center for the Visual Arts. Now through September they have a display of vintage (as in priceless) automobiles on display. These are very unique machines and not something you would EVER see on the road.

On out West End you will find Centennial Park with a full-scale replica of the Greek Parthenon. Keep on going out West End and eventually you will run into the Belle Meade plantation which dates back to 1817.

If you want nature and wildlife or anything else let me know. I've been around here for decades ;)

The "Essence" of the music section of Nashville is to be found in two places. First is what we refer to as the "Lower Broad" area which is in reality the end of Broadway Street where it runs into the Cumberland River at Riverfront Park. In a roughly 4 block square area there are dozens of cafes, bars, nightclubs, music spots, and everything else pertaining to "Music" in Nashville. It is also home to the Ryman Auditorium which is where the Grand Ole Opry used to be filmed.

The second area is "Music Row" which is 2 or 3 miles away. It encompasses the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, as well as most of the music companies that call Nashville home (Sony Nashville, Curb Music, etc.).

Gaylord Entertainment (who now owns the Opryland trademark, I think) is in a large facility well outside of downtown Nashville, over where the former Opryland Amusement Park was located. For a long while it was TNN (The Nashville Network) and then became Gaylord Productions.

Also take a look at Union Station. It was a railroad terminal built in 1900 and is now a hotel or something. Very interesting architecture though.

Right next door to Union Station is the Frist Center for the Visual Arts. Now through September they have a display of vintage (as in priceless) automobiles on display. These are very unique machines and not something you would EVER see on the road.

On out West End you will find Centennial Park with a full-scale replica of the Greek Parthenon. Keep on going out West End and eventually you will run into the Belle Meade plantation which dates back to 1817.

If you want nature and wildlife or anything else let me know. I've been around here for decades ;)

See, now that's the kind of recon I was hoping for!! :hail:

Thanks, Scott.

Just out of curiosity James, what does someone's photographic proficiency have to do with this? I often get great tips from locals who know NOTHING about photography...

See, now that's the kind of recon I was hoping for!! :hail:

Thanks, Scott.
Any time ;)

Like many places Nashville has become a confusing mix of the old and the new. There are a couple of hundred years of "Stuff" around here, kind of like we can't decide whether to stay in the 19th century or join the 21st century. Because of that there is a lot of history and a lot of photographic opportunities. A few I forgot to mention: Vanderbilt University, Cheekwood Botanical Gardens (who have a rather unique light show going on right now), Lane Motor Museum (one of the largest collections of early European cars around), Marathon Motor Works (a car manufacturer from 1907 to 1914).

In addition:
Paul C. Buff Manufacturing - 2725 Bransford Ave, Nashville - The guys who make the lights
Durys - 701 Ewing Ave, Nashville - The last full-service camera shop left in Nashville

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity James, what does someone's photographic proficiency have to do with this? I often get great tips from locals who know NOTHING about photography...

Because someone who has photography proficiency likely knows what I mean when I ask for cool places to shoot. When I say that I'm looking for stuff to shoot for a nice editorial set on my trip to Nashville, they know what I want because they've likely either A) done the same thing, or B) seen it done and are familiar with the style. A total amateur has a completely different perspective and no frame of reference.

Obviously, I'm in no way saying that a n00b isn't capable of recognizing a nice picture of Nashville. Hope that helps...

Because someone who has photography proficiency likely knows what I mean when I ask for cool places to shoot. When I say that I'm looking for stuff to shoot for a nice editorial set on my trip to Nashville, they know what I want because they've likely either A) done the same thing, or B) seen it done and are familiar with the style. A total amateur has a completely different perspective and no frame of reference.

Obviously, I'm in no way saying that a n00b isn't capable of recognizing a nice picture of Nashville. Hope that helps...

I totally know what you mean.

I get better recommendations from photographers than non-photographers. Non-photographers want me to go to all the touristy places and aim at the same thing all the tourists are shooting at... :lmao: Photographers will recommend hidden gems (even if they're not literally hidden, but something the normal public wouldn't think to recommend), and other cool things.

Fair enough... as someone who has done a LOT of travel photography, in many different countries, my go-to reference for local points of interest are ALWAYS cab drivers. Tell them what you're looking for and chances are, they know exactly what you want & where to find it.

Id recommend going to the stock photo sites and searching for Nashville, see what icons come up. This worked well for my Atlanta trip last month.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back