Best superzoom/bridge for photography + filming: 450-500USD

Kluulz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Heya guys,

I've spent many hours googling and reading reviews, guides and comparisons of the best superzoom/bridge camera's out there.

From my research, the best are unfortunately out of my budget; Nikon Coolpix p900 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

Instead I have narrowed down to:

Canon Powershot SX60

Fuji FinePix S1

Nikon Coolpix p600.

From my research they are all in the top 10 Bridge cameras of 2014/2015, even part of the top 3 in many cases, yet they all have certain downsides and upsides. E.g.:

FinePix S1: apparently the only weatherproof superzoom, but bad IQ

Coolpix p600: the best IQ of them all (?)

Powershot SX60: best filming?

I would love some advice from some people who knows the benefits of the various specs (e.g. sensor size, aperture settings, ISO noise etc. etc.) because I find all the reviews quite technical and I have no idea what techs I should look for.

What I do know is that I want it to be a good investment, i.e. to last many years. I want to be able to use to to film in full HD (under 4k) and of course have good image quality. Whether it is 65 or 50x zoom is not that important. Also if you recommend others?

Thanks a lot for the help!

EDIT:
I should have been more specific for what I want to use it for.

Photography wise: Macro, wild-life, zooming, landscape. So this could very well be fast-moving animals, such as shooting birds, lions, whales etc.
Filming wise: Exactly the same actually.

I want the filming while zoomed to be as important as the IQ of the photography at zoom, as the zoom is the main reason why choosing a superzoom/bridge.

I can tolerate taking more pictures for the "perfect" one, in terms of focus, however, I do want it to be quick so I don't miss any action (e.g. a humpback whale breaching.)

As I do a lot of video editing, I wouldn't mind editing photos either. However, the best colors (the less work for me,) the better. The quality of the video and images do not have to be at pro-level as the camera will only be used for amateur footage. However, if one of the cameras can be at pro level, in case I do get to that level, then of course that would be a great investment.

I hope this helps you help me :)

EDIT2:

Doing further research, I've found certain dealers on ebay that have some of the better and newer bridge camera's at lower prices. My budget is a big factor unfortunately, but perhaps certain camera's are worth the extra $.

My main options in my original budget are:

1) Fuji FinePix S1 SECONDHAND. With memory card, 2x extra batteries: 255-285 USD

2) Canon Powershot SX50 SECONDHAND with memory card. 220USD

Yes, they are secondhand, but to buy either of these cameras new would be twice the price here in DK. They are as good as new. No issues etc.

Or I can get:

3)Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ1000 NEW 642USD

4)Nikon COOLPIX P900 NEW 583USD

5)Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 NEW 513USD.

Is the 150-200USD leap worth it?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
The Fuji S1 is no longer sold; look for it on Amazon or eBay. Try the FZ70,
FinePix S9900W, S9800 intead.

I am going with:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H400 Digital Camera
20.1MP 1/2.3" Super HAD CCD Sensor
63x Optical Zoom 24.5-1550mm Equiv.

better than:
Canon PowerShot SX530 HS Digital Camera
16MP 1/2.3" High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
Canon 50x Optical Zoom Lens

I just saw the FZ1000 used but in good condition on the B&H Photo website for $530. I think that sounds like the best camera for your needs and is just a little over budget at that price.

I just saw the FZ1000 used but in good condition on the B&H Photo website for $530. I think that sounds like the best camera for your needs and is just a little over budget at that price.
I am situated in the EU, so with taxes + toll fees it won't be cheap anymore :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back