Best Three Lenses, Just starting, Your Opinion.

Calypso b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering, If you were just starting out with portrait photography and candids, and you had to choose only three lenses to buy, what would you get??

I am using a Canon Rebel Xti ;)

Last edited:
I would defintely look into a prime lens around 60-85mm 1.4 or 1.8

< grr. too early in the morning with no coffee.. rewriting my response >

For portraits, I used the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 the most.

Also known for portraits is the 100mm 2.8 macro (for budget minded). For zoom, look towards the 70-200mm f2.8L

You only need 2 for candids. I have Nikon so do the conversion for Canon.

Highly advise getting a wide angle. Tokina 12-24 is a killer must have beauty for enclosed areas. I did one wedding almost exclusively with this lens. Small chapel, indoor and out door receptions.

Then I have the Nikon 18-200mm VR. If you can only afford one then get this range and long for the day you can save up for a 12-24.

note: Expensive fast glass recommendations (2.8 etc) are like advising beginners that they need a Corvette to drive the kids to school. Because it is "better" than the sedan.

Holy Trinity of Canon Glass:
16-35 f2.8L
24-70 f2.8L
70-200 f2.8L

With a crop body add the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and you have 95% of the average photographers working range covered.

Just buy 50mm prime, you will find out what you really need soon enough after using that.

For me, I'd say the 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 and a 70-200 L (which one would depend on budget).

You only need 2 for candids. I have Nikon so do the conversion for Canon.

Highly advise getting a wide angle. Tokina 12-24 is a killer must have beauty for enclosed areas. I did one wedding almost exclusively with this lens. Small chapel, indoor and out door receptions.

Then I have the Nikon 18-200mm VR. If you can only afford one then get this range and long for the day you can save up for a 12-24.

note: Expensive fast glass recommendations (2.8 etc) are like advising beginners that they need a Corvette to drive the kids to school. Because it is "better" than the sedan.

While this statement has some validity I can say that as a relatively new digital shooter I didn't need to buy the "fast" glass as sobolik has mentioned but I wish that instead of buying a different lens here to try, a different lens there I wish I would have just saved up and bought the 70-200 f2.8 sooner rather than later. I think if you plan to do professional work at any time that this is a general consensus You will at some point most likely want to use this lens. It is one of the best lenses out there for a reason. They are the trinity for this very same reason.

I believe it all depends on budget.

If a person who drive a car that worth more than $100,000, live in a house that cost more than 1 mill and has a big budget for buying the photographer gears.

I will recommend him or her to get the better equipments for what he/she want to do even if the person is a beginner.

So the bottom line is, it all depends on budget. Best Sedan and Best Sedan under $20,000 yield a different result.

So best portrait lens and best portrait around $300 also yield a different result.

I believe it all depends on budget.

If a person who drive a car that worth more than $100,000, live in a house that cost more than 1 mill and has a big budget for buying the photographer gears.

I will recommend him or her to get the better equipments for what he/she want to do even if the person is a beginner.

So the bottom line is, it all depends on budget. Best Sedan and Best Sedan under $20,000 yield a different result.

So best portrait lens and best portrait around $300 also yield a different result.

+1

Budget is a major contributing factor in how people build their kit up. Furthermore though I would add that the specific style of photography; the conditions the photographer is most often shooting in and the other gear besides lens and camera that the photographers uses are all going to contribute to what they feels is the best possible gear.

Some people want every focal range from 8 to 200 in their lens line up - others don't like zooms and prefer primes; some only want one or two clear and distinct working lenses, others will want 4 or 5 for different conditions.

I would not make a choice like this based on a number of lenses but instead work out budget; shooting conditions; requirements and such and then see what fits the criteria. You might find that you only need 2 lenses or that you'll need to consider more than 3 for varying shooting conditions.
Furthermore you might find that you'll want to split your budget- get only one lens - but use the rest for a flash - or even start building a studio setup with multiple flash/strobes.

I'd get an m42 adaptor and look for 60's/70's Asahi Takumars and Zeiss Jenas.

Just wondering, If you were just starting out with portrait photography and candids, and you had to choose only three lenses to buy, what would you get??

I'd get an m42 adaptor and buy 60's/70's Asahi Takumars and Zeiss Jenas.

Jena, what can she do for you? :lmao:

Most reactions

Back