Best Time of day to take pics?

Jonesychickx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone really get up at the crack of dawn to get good light or is it all just a myth???

I got up on sunday to catch sunrise 1.5 hours away from me in Newport RI. Definitely worth it.

No myth. The suns rays are most diffused and soft during the hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset. I have only done two sunrise sessions but I shoot evenings all the time!

It ain't called The Golden Hour for no reason.

Depends on the weather and what you are looking for. On a very cloudy day the time won't matter very much, and I prefer the light any time on a cloudy day to the early morning on a sunny day. If you want dramatic shadows you're better off going nearer the middle of the day, although the shadows are longer at the beginning and end of the day. You should try different times and conditions and see what works for you.

3:37:16 am

Trust me. I know these things.

I sometimes start shooting within 2 to 3 minutes of rolling off the rack. I often classify these as "sunrise" shots. At times, I shoot photos within just one or two minutes of falling asleep. I classify these as "late night, drunk shots". And in between the early AM and the late-night stuff, I classify everything else as "daytime shots". I do however, like the Golden Hour, when the light looks as sweet and golden as a finely-brewed glass of beer.

I can't really do the sunrise ones, hubby is out to work early and bairn is still asleep, garden isn't that interesting either!! ...well maybe on a Sunday I can pop out for a bit early on if I'm not too tired from my Saturday night out :)

Besides the golden hours, a good time is when the sunlight isnt to harsh...so thats when its like 12-3PM

Does anyone really get up at the crack of dawn to get good light or is it all just a myth???

More often than Id like. Its hard to get out of a warm sleeping bag and stumble out into the cold dark at 4 am but hey, everyone needs a hobby!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back